cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

updating software on wireless controllers and AP's

dallen00111111
Level 1
Level 1

I am wondering if among the experts out there someone can answer a couple of questions about updating controller and AP software.  We have a 5500 series wireless controller and a bunch of Cisco AP's (I don't know the model, but can check).  I am wanting to put all of these on a regular schedule for update over the summer.  They have not been regularly updated up to this point.  I can see and download updated software for the controller, so that part of it seems straightforward to me.

My thoughts, to this point, have been to update the controller software first and then attempt to update the software on each AP.  I presume that there is a switch or a way to log into the AP's themselves (probably via SSH) to get the updates done.

I am wondering, for best practices, if there is a preferred sequence to update the controller and the AP software and what it may be?  I also wonder how do I update or trigger an update for the AP's?  I haven't, to this point, seen anything about how to update the AP software.  I presume that there IS a way other than replacing the AP's ( which we couldn't afford).

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to rpovide.

3 Replies 3

dallen00111111
Level 1
Level 1

Additional information:

The AP's are Cisco 1142N's.

Hi,

You only upgrade the code on the controller and the access points automatically get upgraded from the wireless controller.

Before doing an upgrade, you need to research your upgrade path. Identify the current version you are running and what version you can upgrade to.

You can find the procedure to upgrade a controller in the following doc:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/68835-wlc-upgrade.html

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

I'd usually stick on to a version as much as I could if its support and I'm not having any issues or not looking any additional features.As for your question,I'd audit my AP inventory to identify the viable  WLC software as not all the APs are supported by new versions as they go end of support etc..if they are just 1142Ns should be supported by any latest versions,I'd go for a suggested version(8.121.0) which is not always the latest through

As for your question,I'd audit my AP inventory to identify the viable  WLC software as not all the APs are supported by new versions as they go end of support etc..if they are just 1142Ns should be supported by any latest versions,I'd go for a suggested version(8.121.0) which is not always the latest through

As for the update,You'd be uploading the controller software through the WLC GUI and once completed you'd  have to restart and APs will get the updated software through WLC when its back up.look in to preupload the image if you'd like to minimize the down town.Also dont forget to go the guides and understand it well if you havent got a lab to test it all

***Please rate all the useful posts***
-Prabath
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card