Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Cisco Catalyst 3850-12S-S Switch

mnice
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I hope you are well

Please I need your help for upgrade a Cisco 3850-12S-S Switch from the everest 16.6.5 version to the fuji 16.9.6 version.

I downloaded IOS XE 16.9.6 I transfer it with TFTP on the flash I checked that it didn't corrupt with the ''MD5 verify'' but for the command of the installation I hesitate I found this command '' request platform software package install switch all file flash:name_of_file_ios.bin new auto-copy'' I don't know if it's the right command or not.

Thank you indvance.

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@mnice wrote:

- Can I use this commands for no stack situation?

Yes.  This is an automated script and it doesn't matter if the switch is in a stack or not. 

@mnice wrote:

- Can upgrade the device with SSH access ?

Telnet or SSH will do fine. 

In the steps I have provided, I forgot to add a step between step 1 and step 2:  After the flash clean up is done, copy the IOS into the switch using the following command: 

copy tftp://<TFTP_IP_ADDRESS>/<FILENAME> flash:

@mnice wrote:

When I use the clean up command do the all DATA on flash lost

No.  The cleanup script will only delete un-used PKG files.  

It is very important to run this script before AND after the upgrade process because 3650/3850 are notorious for having very, very "conservative" flash space.  There is enough flash space for two full un-packed IOS-XE before it starts running into trouble.  

@mnice wrote:

Do I lose access to the equipment with SSH ?

No, you won't.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

kubn2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can use this command: boot system flash:[File-name] but remember to copy running config before changing ios.

mnice
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Kubn2

Thank you for your return and information

I wanted to do this but the IOS XE .bin needs to be extracted for work I think and in addition the access to my equipment is in remotely I want to be sure.

Regards.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

IMPORTANT:  Read the Release Notes very, very carefully.  

NOTE:  Was using 16.9.5 and experienced several memory leaks and several crashes.  TAC recommends upgrading to 16.12.4 because the fixes are there, however, >6 weeks later, we have MORE issues (unidentified memory leaks & crashes, DOT1X & PoE issues) with 16.12.4 than ever before.

1.  Before you start, make sure to clean up the flash with the following command:

request platform software package clean switch all

2.  Use the following command to unpack the firmware with the following command:

request platform software package install switch all file flash:IOS_filename.bin on-reboot new auto-copy verbose

3.  After the firmware has unpacked the files, use the following command to verify the package.conf contains the correct files: 

more flash-X:packages.conf | begin for NOVA

NOTEMake sure to run this command on every member of the stack. 

4.  Make sure the boot variable string is pointing to the packages.conf:

sh boot

5.  After the switch has successfully rebooted, do not forget to clean the flash:

request platform software package clean switch all

Good luck and hope this helps.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Also take the time to verify if the stack needs to have SMU applied as well. 

Hello Leo

Thank you so much for your return and information.

For ios version it's noted.

But for upgrade you need to know the access is remotely and no stack used only one device so :

- When I use the clean up command do the all DATA on flash lost ? Do I lose access to the equipment with SSH ?

Thanks inadvance.

Regards.

@mnice wrote:

Yes.  This is an automated script and it doesn't matter if the switch is in a stack or not. 

@mnice wrote:

Telnet or SSH will do fine. 

In the steps I have provided, I forgot to add a step between step 1 and step 2:  After the flash clean up is done, copy the IOS into the switch using the following command: 

copy tftp://<TFTP_IP_ADDRESS>/<FILENAME> flash:

@mnice wrote:

When I use the clean up command do the all DATA on flash lost

No.  The cleanup script will only delete un-used PKG files.  

It is very important to run this script before AND after the upgrade process because 3650/3850 are notorious for having very, very "conservative" flash space.  There is enough flash space for two full un-packed IOS-XE before it starts running into trouble.  

@mnice wrote:

Do I lose access to the equipment with SSH ?

No, you won't.

Hello Leo

Sorry for the late return and thank you so much for your great support.

I will proceed with the upgrade and get back to you for confirmation.

Regards.

Hello Leo

The upgrade procedure work fine and the equipment is successfully updated.

Here is the summary of the procedure that leo sent me :

1 - #request platform software package clean switch all ( mandatory )

2- #copy tftp://<TFTP_IP_ADDRESS>/<FILENAME> flash: ( don't forget to check the HASH with the command verify /md5 flash:IOS )

3- #request platform software package install switch all file flash:IOS_filename.bin on-reboot new auto-copy verbose 

4- #more flash-X:packages.conf | begin for NOVA ( just to check the content )

5- #sh boot ( just to check the boot sector )

6 - Reboot

7- #request platform software package clean switch all ( mandatory )

Thank you again leo for your great support.

Regards.

Hi, 

Thanks for sharing the detailed steps. As I am bit new to this area,  would like to clarify below points with you. 

1. Is it possible to upgrade IOS by just copying to flash and with setting " Boot system flash" 

2.What is the use of 3rd and 4th command - " #request platform software package install switch all file flash:IOS_filename.bin on-reboot new auto-copy verbose "  AND   "#more flash-X:packages.conf | begin for NOVA ( just to check the content ) " 

3. After this command, is it not necessary to set the " Boot System Flash" command ?

4. Is the IOS upgrade specific to certain model ?  can I use this steps for cisco Routers and Switches

5. If not, how do we know the right IOS upgrade method  of each model ( As we are handling multiple models) 

Regards,

NWLearning

Hi Leo, 

Thanks for your response and I have gone through the detailed steps. Thanks again for spending time and explaining it in detail. 

But still, I have questions and very much confused about IOS upgradation. 

A. Can't  I upgrade switches with " Copy TFTP: Flash: command

B. Is it depends on device model ?

C. How can I know which command to be used for IOS, I mean independent on device and IOS series..

Your response will be highly appreciated, as it is a nightmare... 

Thanks again. 

NWL

@networklearning65535 wrote:
A. Can't  I upgrade switches with " Copy TFTP: Flash: command

If you want to just copy the firmware file across, and that's it, then it is called Bundle Mode.  Yes.  Bundle Mode is supported.  However, know what are the limitation(s) to Bundle Mode before deciding on it. 

@networklearning65535 wrote:
B. Is it depends on device model ?

Of course.  Cisco wants to make it as painful as possible to upgrade the firmware.  Each platform have their own set of Install Mode commands and set of gotchas (to the commands).  Some documents even deliberately hide the ROMMON matrix.  This means unsuspecting users will find the routers refusing the upgrade because they have not yet upgraded the ROMMON.  

@networklearning65535 wrote:C. How can I know which command to be used for IOS, I mean independent on device and IOS series..

That is what the Release Notes are for.  If no one reads the Release Notes, things can go ugly very, very fast.

Thanks for the response. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card