Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading catlyst switch 6513-VS-SUP2T-10G

Bazoka
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

Two core switches 6513 working as core using HSRP, I need to configure them VSS.

I didn't go that site before and I have to go get the job done and leave, how I can get the proper IOS? i am not sure both current switches have the proper IOS that supports VSS or maybe they have different IOS.

All I know on each core switch single VS-SUP2T-10G.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The last one I did before 6K go end of life - i used 151-2.SY4a it was stable and worked as expected.

1. before you Migrating From L3 Mode to VSS - you required proper Planning.

2. Especially Code, Config, HSRP Config, how to end device connected.

3. Once you make them VSS they no longer 2 devices, they logically 1 switch.

required good maintenance window, before you take these steps.

1. bring one of the switches to offline - upgrade the IOS to required to meet VSS (in this stage you have still other one live and able to serve the Data traffic - if you have dual home setup)

2. Once new VSS Switch online with cutover, upgrade other switch with VSS same software and join the VSS 

refer other post for VSS setup.

2. make necessary config tweaked if you moving 12.X code then Looks QoS is changed in 15.X

3. then bring the kit online with shtdown mode of all ports, short downtime - bring the one Live ( make VSS Switch 1 Live) check all working, then

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello,

the 6513-VS-SUP2T-10G supervisor engines do support VSS. Both switches need to run the same IOS version (check with 'sh ver'). Check if the commands needed are available.

The entire process is pretty straight forward. The link below gets you started:

https://networklessons.com/cisco/ccie-routing-switching-written/cisco-6500-vss-configuration-example

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The last one I did before 6K go end of life - i used 151-2.SY4a it was stable and worked as expected.

1. before you Migrating From L3 Mode to VSS - you required proper Planning.

2. Especially Code, Config, HSRP Config, how to end device connected.

3. Once you make them VSS they no longer 2 devices, they logically 1 switch.

required good maintenance window, before you take these steps.

1. bring one of the switches to offline - upgrade the IOS to required to meet VSS (in this stage you have still other one live and able to serve the Data traffic - if you have dual home setup)

2. Once new VSS Switch online with cutover, upgrade other switch with VSS same software and join the VSS 

refer other post for VSS setup.

2. make necessary config tweaked if you moving 12.X code then Looks QoS is changed in 15.X

3. then bring the kit online with shtdown mode of all ports, short downtime - bring the one Live ( make VSS Switch 1 Live) check all working, then

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card