cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading from Bundle Mode to Install Mode (Cat 9300-48P)

bboyce
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to figure out the correct process for upgrading two C9300-48P's from bundle mode to install mode (specifically 16.9.2 & 17.5.1 to 17.9.5). I've gotten the process figured for upgrading from install mode to install mode:

• conf t > no boot system > boot system flash:packages.conf > no boot manual > exit > wr > install add file flash:<file.bin> activate commit prompt-level none

But I am not entirely sure on how to do this from bundle mode to install mode. I attempted yesterday on a test 9300 set up in bundle mode, to change the boot variable from the .bin file to packages.conf (without there being a packages.conf since it was in bundle mode) and then proceed with the install_add_activate_commit, but it seems like this does not generate a packages.conf file if there is not one already - and got stuck in a boot loop.

I then tried to instead use "request platform software package expand..." on the currently mounted .bin (the one I was trying to upgrade out of) just to be able to create a packages.conf file for the install command to overwrite - but I'm not sure that worked either. Is it necessary to expand the new target IOS XE image .bin file, set the boot variable as packages.conf, reload (which will place you technically in install mode, but it doesn't go through the full install_add_activate_commit process), then run the install_add_activate_commit on the new .bin?

Sorry for this being a bit scattered, but if anybody could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I believe 16.9.2 is within the recommendations to directly upgrade to 17.9.5 without a stepped upgrade.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have a look at the date-and-time stamp for the file "packages.conf" and compare with the 17.9.5 package files and if they line match.  Double-check the contents using the following command: 

more bootflash:packages.conf | begin rp_boot

Does the right-hand column point to 17.9.5?  How about the other members of the stack: 

more bootflash-X:packages.conf | begin rp_boot

(Where "X" is the switch member number.)

Does the right-hand column point to 17.9.5?

If they all do, then check the boot variable statement using the command "sh boot".  

Current Boot Variables:
BOOT variable does not exist

Boot Variables on next reload:
BOOT variable = flash:packages.conf
Manual Boot = no
Enable Break = no
Boot Mode = DEVICE
iPXE Timeout = 0

Most important output are the BOOT variable and Manual Boot. 

The BOOT Variable must always point to "bootflash:packages.conf" ("flash:packages.conf" is acceptable).

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have a look at the date-and-time stamp for the file "packages.conf" and compare with the 17.9.5 package files and if they line match.  Double-check the contents using the following command: 

more bootflash:packages.conf | begin rp_boot

Does the right-hand column point to 17.9.5?  How about the other members of the stack: 

more bootflash-X:packages.conf | begin rp_boot

(Where "X" is the switch member number.)

Does the right-hand column point to 17.9.5?

If they all do, then check the boot variable statement using the command "sh boot".  

Current Boot Variables:
BOOT variable does not exist

Boot Variables on next reload:
BOOT variable = flash:packages.conf
Manual Boot = no
Enable Break = no
Boot Mode = DEVICE
iPXE Timeout = 0

Most important output are the BOOT variable and Manual Boot. 

The BOOT Variable must always point to "bootflash:packages.conf" ("flash:packages.conf" is acceptable).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card