Views
Helpful
Replies

user passphrase default policy

Petr Jaros
Level 1
Level 1

Hi colleagues,

I have question about CISCO NX-OS (9.3(7) and later) on switch NX9336C (used for NetApp Metrocluster).

On switch I have defined values for default values:

userpassphrase min-length 15 max-length 127
userpassphrase default-gracetime 14
userpassphrase default-lifetime 90

Altough anoter vaules are being applied to the existing account, even new user accounts I create. Like:

passphrase lifetime 99999 warntime 14 gracetime 3

Could you please advise, how to apply those defined default values to the accounts?

1 Reply 1

To apply the defined default values to the user accounts, you should update the user accounts with the new passphrase policies. Here's how you can do that:

1. First, SSH into your Cisco NX9336C switch.

2. Enter the configuration mode:
```
configure terminal
```

3. Update the passphrase parameters for an existing account. Replace 'username' with the actual username of the account you want to update:
```
username username passphrase lifetime 90 warntime 14 gracetime 14
```

4. Save the configuration:
```
copy running-config startup-config
```

5. Exit the configuration mode:
```
exit
```

6. Repeat steps 3 to 5 for all the user accounts you want to apply the default values to.

For new user accounts, you can use the same command in step 3 during account creation to apply the default values.

Note that if the default passphrase policy settings are not being applied to new accounts automatically, you may need to review your configuration to ensure that there are no conflicting settings or errors. In such cases, manually specifying the passphrase policy during account creation or updating the policy for existing accounts as mentioned above will help ensure the desired settings are applied.

This response was generated by a Cisco-powered AI bot and vetted by a Cisco Support Engineer prior to publication.
This is part of a monitored experiment to see if the bot can help answer questions alongside community members. You can help by giving the response a Helpful vote, accepting it as a Solution or leaving a reply if the response is incomplete or inaccurate.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card