Views
Helpful
Replies

Using SG350XG-24F as media converter

NicoMaas1987
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

we currently work on getting some new uplinks to our building. As part of our existing network, we have a customer link with 1 gig fiber using MPLS that is just patched through to our customers endpoint. Due to the new uplinks, this connection is soon to be delivered via a new, 10gig fiber. We got an SG350XG-24F in place and would need to terminate the incoming singlemode, 10g connection on that switch and transfer it to a monomode, 1g fiber to our customers endpoint. Is there any way to just "convert" the 10g singlemode to the 1g monomode with that switch? Its never going to saturate the 1gig, but due to constraints outside of our control, this change is happening and i would really need to change the 10gig connection monomode (with mpls) to a 1gig multimode and pass it through transparently.

Thanks a lot!

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

its got a 24x 10G SFP+ ports  ( SFP+ port can support 10GB and 1GB)

you can terminate provider 10GB with right SFP optic and you can terminate to your client 1GB with right Optics support

i do not see any issue here? you can put them in the same layer 2 (if provider delivering pure L2 Links).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks BB,
I am completly new to MPLS and never have used it (just having this fiber accidently running MPLS, but its just a black box) - and the first searches I came across showed MPLS somewhat connected to BGP - so the question would probably be following: If I just configure the tenGig and the Gig port i.e. as access port for a random vlan (i.e. 123) - data will just transparently flow between both ports, or is there any special sauce needed?

Best regards

As Long  as Switch able to bring up the ports and right SFP in place as mentioned earlier, you can do any VLAN as per your requirement

if both ports in VLAN 123, that means client in separate VLAN

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes, I would only put both the 1gig and 10gig Fiber with the MPLS connection in one VLAN and keep all other traffic on the switch on different vlans, so that the MPLS connection is not disturbed by any other traffic.

Hello

No sure I understand the question, are you wanting to connect a multimode fibre to single mode correct if

so then its sounds like you may need a conditioning fibre cable, this allows such a termination.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hey Paul,

its a bit more complex, the new connection is a single/monomode fiber with a 10 gig SFP+, the receiving end is a 1 gig SFP with multimode fiber and SFP. We cannot change the SFPs or wiring, but we luckily got them both at the same location and got the SG350XG-24F to bridge them. And I was just wondering if it would be enough to just pop the corresponding optics for each link into the switch, configure both ports to the same vlan and that will work - or if there is some special configuration needed, as I have no clue about MPLS.

Thank you very much
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card