cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using storm control for 10 Gig uplinks in datacenter?

BERND PETERS
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I have a question to storm control on 4500X switches. In a customer environment ports get blocking with a configured level of 0.01%. Is this one to low? Does anybody have experience with that feature on 10 Gig links.

New appended - Yes - my question is related to uplinks as there are a Blade system (Flex system ) is connected to and there are some notes with running VM on it. 

Thanks Bernd

Message was edited by: BERND PETERS

5 Replies 5

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

That's 1 Mbit of broadcast traffic. I wouldn't expect to see more than that on a 10 Gbps port. Is the command available in PPS on the platform as well?

It's difficult to find an optimal setting without running tests how much the platform can handle but I'd rather lose a few ARPs than having the whole box go down.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Please rate helpful posts.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In my humble opinion, you don't put storm control on the uplink (of any switch).  Storm control's place is on the access port.

Oh,

I missed to catch that in the topic. I would agree on that yes, to not use it on uplinks. For a user port 1 Mbit should be enough. The 4500x has a lot of 10GE so it wasn't obvious to me that this was an uplink.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Hi , it is also my opinien but not that from our client. So the question is, did any one already used it on uplinks and with which level.

Thanks Bernd

So the question is, did any one already used it on uplinks and with which level.

We never implemented storm control on the uplinks because it caused dropouts.  If we employ storm control on access ports, then the dropouts disappears. 

The client is reading documents dated ten years ago. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card