cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using the HWIC-4ESW

David Lee
Level 1
Level 1

Long story short is I am used to using layer 3 interfaces on routers ever since I have been digging my hands into Cisco.  I recently purchased a HWIC-4ESW and slapped it in my router to start messing with it.  I created a DHCP pool, a vlan and assigned it an IP address, and assigned one of the ports on the 4ESW to the same vlan.  When I plug a computer in, it doesnt get an IP address.  I made sure the "Service DHCP" was enabled.  It almost doesnt seem possible for what I am just trying to do.  It seems without a Layer 3 port that it wont work.  If thats the case, then what is the HWIC-4ESW card for?  Am I missing something in the config?  I have tried this in a 1841, 2811, and a 1921 router with the same results. 

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Where did you assign the IP to ?

Jon

I gave the VLAN the IP address since Layer 2 ports can't have IP addresses. 

Router(config-if)#ip add 192.168.220.252 255.255.255.0

% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links.

So you did "int vlan <vlan ID" and then gave that an IP address ?

If so that should work.

Have you checked it is up/up when you do a "sh ip int brief" ?

And have you tried configuring an IP on your computer and making sure you can ping the vlan interface IP ?

Jon

Router#sh ip int brief
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
FastEthernet0/0            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down    
FastEthernet0/1            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down    
FastEthernet0/0/0          unassigned      YES unset  up                    down    
FastEthernet0/0/1          unassigned      YES unset  up                    down    
FastEthernet0/0/2          unassigned      YES unset  up                    up      
FastEthernet0/0/3          unassigned      YES unset  up                    up      
Serial0/1/0                unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down    
Vlan1                      unassigned      YES unset  up                    up      
Vlan3                      192.168.220.252 YES manual up                    down    
Vlan5                      10.100.220.252  YES manual up                    down

The protocol is showing down.  VLAN 3 is applied to FA0/0/2 and VLAN 5 is applied to FA0/0/3

Well, I got it to this point.  

Router#sh ip int brief
Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
FastEthernet0/0            unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down    
FastEthernet0/1            unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down    
FastEthernet0/0/0          unassigned      YES unset  up                    down    
FastEthernet0/0/1          unassigned      YES unset  up                    down    
FastEthernet0/0/2          unassigned      YES unset  up                    up      
FastEthernet0/0/3          unassigned      YES unset  up                    up      
Serial0/1/0                unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down    
Vlan1                      unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down    
Vlan3                      192.168.220.252 YES NVRAM  up                    up      
Vlan5                      10.100.220.252  YES NVRAM  up                    up

DHCP still doesnt seem to work, but if I assign a static IP address and ping the vlan IP address it works

Can you post the router configuration ?

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card