Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Utilizing 2960 switches for Mb network

I have a situation to setup a network of workstations to communicate in Gb speed using the existing 62.5/125 MM fibre infrastructure between 3 buildings separated by a distance of 300m. I am thinking of using the Gb uplink ports in the Catalyst 2960 switches to set up the Gb network. Each building has a 2960 series switch and they are networked via the fibre GLC-LH-SM transceiver module installed in the uplink ports . Question is can the remaining free Gb ports not associated with the used fibre ports be for the workstations? The attachment shows the proposted connectivity, Thanks.

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Shiva

The attachment is missing !!!

regds

Sorry the attachment got missed the first time, shows the proposed connectivity.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi shaiva,

You can, if the NIC on your workstation is fiber Gig then you connect it directly to the switch.  If the NIC on your workstation is copper then you need a 10/100/1000 media converter to convert from copper to fiber and then connect it to the switch.

HTH

Reza

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I
have a situation to setup a network of workstations to communicate in
Gb speed using the existing 62.5/125 MM fibre infrastructure between 3
buildings separated by a distance of 300m. I am thinking of using the
Gb uplink ports in the Catalyst 2960 switches to set up the Gb network.
Each building has a 2960 series switch and they are networked via the
fibre GLC-LH-SM transceiver module installed in the uplink ports .
Question is can the remaining free Gb ports not associated with the
used fibre ports be for the workstations? The attachment shows the
proposted connectivity, Thanks.

Hi,

As suggested you can use the free gb ports if your end station also have the fiber supported nic or fiber converter at station to support the fiber connectivity.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: