cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan and ip default-gateway vs ip route

scott.hawks
Level 1
Level 1

i have 2 3560's. one is setup as the vtp server and the other is a client. the one that is setup as the server has ip routing enabled and point it's last resort gateway to my firewall. the vtp cleint when set to no ip routing, has a default-gateway set to the ip of the vtp server. however, when i do this, i begin to have internet connectivity issues. when the client is set ip routing, and ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x, then internet connectivity is fine. currently, everything is running on vlan 1. i am working on getting everything ready to move everything onto vlans.

Thanks in advance for help!

5 Replies 5

IP default-gateway only affects traffic originated to/from the switch itself and it doesn't affect traffic that's passing through the switch. It's OK to leave routing turned off on the switch that's acting as VTP client but in this case, all the hosts connected to this switch would have to use VTP server's IP as their default gateway.

HTH

Sundar

once i get everything moved over to my vlan's, then i will need to change the gateway on the pc's to the vlan ip, correct?

If all the users connected to the switch configured as vtp client are on vlan 1 then the PCs connected to that switch would use vlan 1 interface IP of the vtp server switch as their gateway. Instead, if the switchports on the vtp client switch are assigned to different vlans then the PCs would have to be configured with a default gateway address of the respective vlan int IPs. I am sure you are aware that you need to trunk the connection between the two switches if switchports on the client switch exist in more than one vlan.

HTH

Sundar

Yes, i already have the ports connecting the 2 vlans trunked with dot1q. while i have someone so knowledgable, let me pick you about a connection problem i have. one of my users when he starts his computer it takes literally 3 minutes to logon. no other users have this problem. i have checked the cabling. i have also set the port he is on to spanning-tree portfast. anything else i need to look for. there didn't appear to be any errors on the interface.

Thanks.

If it's just one user then it very likely is a issue with that users PC. From the network standpoint, duplex/speed, portfast are some of the things that could cause this behavior but if you already checked all that then network mayn't be contributing to that delay. Try moving the user to another known working port and if the problem follows that's one way to eliminate network being the issue here.

HTH

Sundar

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card