Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Deployment Best Practice

djacksonv
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys!

I am working on a new LAN design for aun airport.

IT has 3 buildings that will be connected with Optic Fiber Using 10gbps transceivers.

In One of The buildings will be The core, distribution and The access lawyer, also Data Center and Internet Edge.

In The others buildings there will be just distribution and acces lawyer.

My questions are:

1.- IT is a Best Practice to use diferents Data and voice VLANS in each buildings? Consider that i have users in differents buildings working in The same server/application.

2.- The network segment used for The Native vlan is The same for each building or should I have to use diferents segments? IT is a similar question like 1.

3.- The Acces Points, Ip phones and Ip Cameras for Cctv use and administrative Ip address? if IT is True do they belong to Native Vlan like switches and routers?

4.- because of we need to spam 1 or 2 VLANS across diferents switches in The same building but in diferents wiring closets, we decided to use lawyer 2 access switches, wich is The largest numbers of devices recomended to be in The same vlan? I mean if large broadcast domain brings innestability for STP, PVST or RPVSTP+? Wich is The most recomended in This scheme? Consider 300-400 end devices Per building.

5.- Links betwen core and distribution switches will be 2xL3 10Gbps in each switch, betwen distribution and access switches, we considered 2x2gbps L2 erherchannel for each switch, considering The amount of devices in The last question, do we have to deploy 10gbps L2 Links betwen Distribution and Access Lawyer?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dan,

i would recomend you to use the logical VLAN design called hybrid logical network design as described in the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Education/SchoolsSRA_DG/SchoolsSRA_chap3.html#wp1055231

where you use a separate vlan for voice and data per floor or department for example and a shared common vlan for management of the network devices and this is a valid best practice solution

- for uplinks you can consider the ratio of 4:1 dist-core and 20:1 access-dist ( optional )

- use one native vlan ( unused vlan )

- keeping your vlan numbers consistence ike sales in building 1 vlan 10 and in other buildings same even if they use diffrent dist switches and IP subnet is good from ease of management but it is not must

hope this help

if helpful rate

View solution in original post

Hi Dan,

While redundant components within a single device are valuable, the best availability percentage can be achieved with completely separate devices and paths

however if there is budget constrains then you can go with a single chassis with redundant components e.g. 2x SUPs

the other question is not very clear to me what you meant by "deploy switches dedicated for Data Center."!!

generally speaking this depends on your network, devices and L2/L3 paths

hope this helps

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

1- It is better to use data and voice on different vlans with qos to provide some priority to the voice tarffic of the data, Uplinks betwwen buildings and switches should be trunk links, allowing only the required vlans to pass trough

2- The native vlan should be the same onall entire network, try to no use te native vlan

3- Create vlansaccording to departements or locations, create a new separated foranagement

4- Use RPVSTP+

5- The uplink speed is up to the total bandwidth required by the application connected to the access ports, if you have a switch 24 ports and 100 Mbps required on each port, you will face a netwrok bottleneck ifyou use 1 uplink 1 Gbps

---

Posted by WebUser Elie Massaad from Cisco Support Community App

djacksonv
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, thanks for your comment.

What You exactly mean when You say try to not use The Native vlan? Are You talking about not to use The default Native vlan number 1? If IT is we are going to setup other vlan for Native. For example vlan 99.

When You say use vlan according departments or ubications, can i Mix tose criterias? I mean, vlan 10 for sales in building 1 and vlan 20 for sales in building 2, IT is a Best Practice, remembre that each building has diferents distribution switches so they have diferents routing tables.

The scheme of Using The same vlan and network segment for Native vlan all around my LAN Apply for Managent Vlan?

Hi Dan,

i would recomend you to use the logical VLAN design called hybrid logical network design as described in the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Education/SchoolsSRA_DG/SchoolsSRA_chap3.html#wp1055231

where you use a separate vlan for voice and data per floor or department for example and a shared common vlan for management of the network devices and this is a valid best practice solution

- for uplinks you can consider the ratio of 4:1 dist-core and 20:1 access-dist ( optional )

- use one native vlan ( unused vlan )

- keeping your vlan numbers consistence ike sales in building 1 vlan 10 and in other buildings same even if they use diffrent dist switches and IP subnet is good from ease of management but it is not must

hope this help

if helpful rate

Hey, This document is exactly What i was looking for. I had read a lot of documents about The 2 or 3 tiers models but None of them describe The Vlan implementations.

Now i have a clearly vision. But let me ask You a question.

Using a single 4507R+E chasis with 2 SUP 7E is better than deploy 2 chasis with 1 SUP 7E each One?

Other thing is we have only 8 servers just 2 are critical, deploying a Data Center Framework Would impact The budget significally, can You give ideas for Connecting The servers whithout deploy switches dedicated for Data Center.

Thanks i Would apreciete IT!

Hi Dan,

While redundant components within a single device are valuable, the best availability percentage can be achieved with completely separate devices and paths

however if there is budget constrains then you can go with a single chassis with redundant components e.g. 2x SUPs

the other question is not very clear to me what you meant by "deploy switches dedicated for Data Center."!!

generally speaking this depends on your network, devices and L2/L3 paths

hope this helps

Hello, marwashawi.

What i mean is as we know Cisco recomend to use a separate Core, Distribution and Access Switches to Data Center from the Switches of my campus network and Internet Edge. In some cases they recomend implement a collapsed Core and used just a pair of distribution and acces switches. But this situation will impact the budget significally. What i was thinking is to connect the servers to the Campus Access Switches because they are few.

Is this a recomend situation for very small Data Center?

technically it is possible, however it is not a best practice to use your campus access switch and distribution for DC services

however if you have small size DC you can dedicate couple of access switches connect to the existing distribution for cost saving but you may need to consider having higher uplinks density between the access and distribution switch and assuming that from load capacity you are comfortable this topology can Handel the traffic load

if you required some L2/L3 isolation for secure services for example then this might add some complexity to your design as you may need to introduce some VRF concepts to the distribution switches

hope this help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card