Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Mapping to Provider Edge

Justin Grote
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a multitenant environment in a colocation facility. We are connected to the provider upstream via an ethernet link, and the provider segregates the incoming WAN connections customer's upstream onto a VLAN (which includes their incoming MPLS connections and dedicated Internet connections). We have an 802.1Q trunk with them from our switch environment to theirs (it's redundant, but STP-style so logically no different than a single link)

Nexus 5k ---------- 802.1Q Trunk ------------ Cisco 6809

As an example, lets say they have tagged these VLANs to us:

VLAN 300 - Shared Internet Connectivity for multiple customers

VLAN 1251 - Customer B Edge Connectivity

VLAN 1825 - Customer C Edge Connectivity

In our environment, lets say we already have these customer environments defined into 3 VLANs:

VLAN 10 - Shared Internet Edge

VLAN 11 - Customer B

VLAN 12 - Customer C

I would like to, at the edge, map VLAN 10 to VLAN 300 so that when the traffic is destined for the Provider uplink, it goes out tagged on 300 (instead of VLAN 10). This mapping ability would make it easier for our organizational design. Again, I'm not trying to bridge VLANs, just remap the tag if it goes out a specific interface (kind of like NAT for VLANs)

I just can't seem to find the correct name of the feature or a guide to do this, the closest I can find is Q-in-Q mapping which doesn't solve my problem, and all the VLAN translation info I can find usually applies to Metro Ethernet products, so just wondering if I can do this in standard IOS or NX-OS?

Note: Introducing Layer 3 here isn't an option because the customer environments would need to be segregated, and I'd have to do VRF or VDC and still end up with the same problem. Layer 2 is the simplest for this scenario without making it way complicated, and we aren't likely to hit the 4096 VLAN limit anytime soon.

2 Replies 2

nqtran1979
Level 1
Level 1

it can be done on a 3750Metro:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/catalyst3750m/software/release/12.1_14_ax/configuration/guide/swtunnel.html#wp1021922

do a search for VLAN mapping or VLAN translation.

cheers,

Nhat

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A solution would be using the N5k as receiving the Vlans as they are tagged from the provider for instance Vlan 300.

Associate this Vlan 300 in access mode to a physical port. This physical port will connect to another switch but this switch will be associated to Vlan 10 in access mode. The L2 traffic downstream to your internal network will be treated as Vlan 10 and the upstream traffic towards the provider will be treated as Vlan 300.

Regards,

Edison

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card