Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN set-up

uzma85222
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am a CCNA student and as part of CCNA3 we have been asked to set up VLANs. We are connecting 4 hosts, 2 switches and a router. hosts 1 and 3 will be on VLAN 10 and hosts 2 and 4 will be on VLAN 20.

I am having trouble with the IP addresses. I am using a class C IP address starting with 192.168.???.???. I am not sure what IP address i need to configure on the router to allow the VLANs to communicate. And what IP addresses do I need to give to the hosts, I think they need to be subnetted but im not sure. Please can anyone help.

Thanks in advance

Uzma

18 Replies 18

Hi Kenneth,

You need a layer 3 device for communication between the two VLANs.

2900 is alyer 2 device, you need a layer 3 switch or a router.

I hope this is helpful!

Regards

Abd Alqader

OK, I have some 2600-routers that I think I can use.

But can you please look at the attached plan and tell me where I should put the router(s)?

And maybe you have a better plan?

The 10-net is up and running today. I want to create the new network without too much cost. In total I have about 50 End sites... Not much trafic in the networks.

will you please tell me what are those ethernet modems are for?

and which switches are in your place three?

and the far end switch is of CO?

regards

Devang

Hi!

Sorry for the late response. I've been out of office...

The equipments on the far end are stuff that sending hello-messages. Not much trafic. A PC maybe from time-to-time.

The far end are places outside the company office(CO). We use those modems for connections. Not dial-up, but leased lines.

The switches are all cisco2900.

Kenneth

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card