cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Shutdown not Working Cisco Packet Tracer 3560 Switch!

Sanjay1990
Level 1
Level 1

The Bold lines shows the issue where VLAN could not be shutdown on 3560 Switches in Packet Tracer!

Switch>en

Switch#conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

Switch(config)#vlan 30

Switch(config-vlan)#shutdown

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Switch(config-vlan)#

*************************************************************************************

.........................................................................................................................................

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello
L2 vlan shutdown not applicable in PT, due to its limited feature set.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Hello
L2 vlan shutdown not applicable in PT, due to its limited feature set.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thank you for your prompt reply!

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

that is VLAN creation that means that is not interfaced.

if you like to shut down the VLAN 30 interface, the first check is the interface configured like the below command.

show interface vlan 30  (ot show ip interface brief) - if that is up and running and if  like to shutdown use below commands.

config t

!

interface vlan 30

shutdown 

!

end

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for the alternative solution!

I just wanted to check the indirect causes that could bring an Interface down, like shutting down all the physical interfaces in that VLAN would also show a status of Down for that VLAN interface.

Thank you for the alternative solution!

that is not an alternative solution, that is the right way to do shut and no shut interface, you can not shut VLAN directly with your command syntax.

like shutting down all the physical interfaces in that VLAN would also show a status of Down for that VLAN interface.

if no device is connected to any Physical port part of the VLAN, the VLAN interface show by default shutdown mode. you need to have an active node or device for the VLAN SVI to come up.

BB

@balaji.bandi  not necessarily the svi will come up without any ports assigned to its vlan if that vlan is allowed over a trunk 

Also you can shut a vlan down at L2 level 

Kind Regards
Paul

yes maybe in the Physical kit or some other emulator/simulators  I do not believe this was the case with PT here, hence my suggestion was that.

- since I do not have any visibility on how the original post-user-configured, did he allowed the the vlan in PO config, so my comment was in generic.

Also you can shut a vlan down at L2 level   - you can not shutdown vlan1 any case here

BB

Sir!

As soon as I have access to a real switch I will definitely try to shutdown the VLAN, for test purpose.

Thank you!

Sir! As I am terrible while trying to explain something, I would like to let know that you are absolutely right about the Direct method of shutting down VLAN interface.

Thank you for your help. I was searching for alternative ways to bring an interface down.

Your post helped!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card