cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan traffic not traversing fiber link

simon.howard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, got a problem thats driving my nuts so need some advise. I have two office spaces (call them Office-A and Office-B) about 150 feet apart. Office-A has 5 x c3650-48tq switches stacked via stacking module with 3 x Meraki MR18 AP's coming off them. Theres about 8 vlans working on this stack with vlan2 allocated to internet access on a dedicated firewall port. The MR18's are configured to connect to this vlan so wifi traffic is segregated from network traffic for security reasons.

This stack is connected to Office-B which has 2 x c3650-48tq's and 1 x MR18, via a 10gigabit fibre line. Normal network traffic works fine, users can login without a problem. The issue is I cant get vlan2 to appear on the Office-B switch stack so the MR18 can make use of it. Wifi traffic is miggling with vlan1 traffic which I dont want.

I've set both ends of the fibre line to trunk ports but everytime I try adding the AP's interface to vlan2, (command below) it drops off the network and shutsdown. There isnt a managemtn ip on Office-B's stack yet but I dont think that would be the issue so what am I missing?

Interface gig 2/0/47

Switchport mode access

Switchport access vlan 2

33 Replies 33

You don't have to create a VTP domain, and I actually suggest not, but it is my personal preference. Creating and managing VLANs is simple. The headache a misconfigured VTP domain can cause is not worth the effort IMO.

It does not sound like a VLAN issue, however it is hard to say without seeing how the switch is configured.

ok, heres the switches configs

hi, sorry for the delay (busy at work with other things).

I finally got around to switching on vtp domain and the vlans are showing up on the other side now. i still have an issue with the AP's not picking up internet traffic automatically (requires manual config) but thats an issue to do with the firewalls.

so i'm closing the thread as resolved

:)

Paul
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a little confused, is VLAN 2 allowed down the fiber trunk? And you are having issues with the switch interface the AP is terminating to rather than the fiber trunk?

Post the interface configs for both fiber interfaces in their entirety. and the switchport for the AP

Also post:

sh vlan

sh int trunk

If the switchport on the AP is configured with sub interface or 802.1Q is enabled, the switchport needs to be a trunk and not an access port. I would suggest configuring the switchport for the AP as a trunk, and restrict VLAN with swithcport trunk allowed vlan <1,2,etc>

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card