cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice and data vlan on 3750 catalyst

mialbert
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured a voice and data vlan on a catalyst 3750.  The 3750 came with only ipbase ios.  This means that i cannot do ip routing at the switch so i cannot route between the voice and data vlan's there.  Is routing between the voice and data vlan's a requirement?  Am wondering if i should push to get a smartnet contract or just try to do a router on a stick(on a non-cisco utm class firewall)?

3 Replies 3

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Q: Is routing between the voice and data vlan's a requirement? 

Ans: Not required, but when you will try to login your CUCM or any troubleshooting or update CUCM that time you will feel the requirement. 

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

According to the 3750 Data Sheet you should have some routing capability with the IP Base:

The Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series is available with either the IP Base image or the IP Services image. The IP Base image feature set includes advanced quality of service (QoS), rate-limiting, access control lists (ACLs), static routing, Routing Information Protocol (RIP) and EIGRP stub routing,  capabilities. The IP Services image provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, including advanced hardware-based IPv6 and multicast routing.

Here is the link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/product_data_sheet0900aecd80371991.html

Have you tried to enable "ip routing"in global config mode?

Hope this helps

gwinn.joe
Level 1
Level 1

To add onto chrihussey's comment, yes the ipbase license is capable of routing.  The global command is just "ip routing" that will turn on your intervlan routing if that is what you're trying to do.  There's no need for a router on a stick.

Your question, "Is routing between the voice and data vlan's a requirement?"  It depends what you're trying to do.  If you just have one switch and the call manager is connected directly to the voice vlan, there is no reason to route your vlans together.  If the call manager is at a remote location or remote phones have to connect, there would be a need for you to route your voice vlan traffic but there doesn't sound like there is a specific need to route between the voice and data vlans.  The only "requirements" you have is dependent on what your end goal is

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card