cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPC-2-L3_VPC_UNEQUAL_WEIGHT: Layer3 peer-router is enabled. Please make sure both vPC peers have the same L3 routing configuration

Chris_78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm keep getting the following msg on our nexus 3k switches. 

VPC-2-L3_VPC_UNEQUAL_WEIGHT: Layer3 peer-router is enabled. Please make sure both vPC peers have the same L3 routing configuration

I'm running OSPF, VPC and VRRP on the switches.

sh vpc 
Legend:
(*) - local vPC is down, forwarding via vPC peer-link

vPC domain id : 1
Peer status : peer adjacency formed ok
vPC keep-alive status : peer is alive
Configuration consistency status : success
Per-vlan consistency status : success
Type-2 consistency status : success
vPC role : primary, operational secondary
Number of vPCs configured : 6
Peer Gateway : Enabled
Dual-active excluded VLANs : -
Graceful Consistency Check : Enabled
Auto-recovery status : Enabled, timer is off.(timeout = 240s)
Delay-restore status : Timer is off.(timeout = 60s)
Delay-restore SVI status : Timer is off.(timeout = 10s)
Operational Layer3 Peer-router : Enabled

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Chris,

That message is admittedly very confusing. What it states is merely a warning that you should make sure that both vPC peers are, from the Layer3 routing perspective, equivalent - they should have exactly the same routing table contents, the same OSPF link costs, the same OSPF neighbors, etc. However, the NX-OS does not make any comparison of these details between the vPC peers - the message is merely a reminder for you to monitor it yourself. In other words, it is not an indication of a misconfiguration, rather a periodic notification - and an annoying one, I have to say.

You can deactivate that logging message by configuring no layer3 peer-router syslog in the vpc domain configuration section.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Chris,

That message is admittedly very confusing. What it states is merely a warning that you should make sure that both vPC peers are, from the Layer3 routing perspective, equivalent - they should have exactly the same routing table contents, the same OSPF link costs, the same OSPF neighbors, etc. However, the NX-OS does not make any comparison of these details between the vPC peers - the message is merely a reminder for you to monitor it yourself. In other words, it is not an indication of a misconfiguration, rather a periodic notification - and an annoying one, I have to say.

You can deactivate that logging message by configuring no layer3 peer-router syslog in the vpc domain configuration section.

Best regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Disabling the layer3 peer-router syslog what other messages will be also ignored? 

Thank you,

Thank you for the explanation!

What if we get that message and we have that no command already? Eeek!

Actually I found this link that it's a bug and you may have to enable it, then disable it now.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuw08846/?rfs=iqvred 

vpc domain 1
peer-keepalive destination 192.168.1.2 source 192.168.1.1 vrf VPC-KEEPALIVE
no layer3 peer-router syslog
peer-gateway
layer3 peer-router

%VPC-2-L3_VPC_UNEQUAL_WEIGHT: Unequal weight routing is not supported in L3 over vPC. Please make sure both vPC peers have equal link cost
configuration.

Extremely helpful! I wonder how much of my time is spent troubleshooting things working normally vs misconfigurations. 

Obviously, bugs beat both, but who could expect a multi-billion-dollar networking company to test their products.

Chris_78
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Peter! Much appreciated the fast response!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card