Views
Helpful
Replies

VPC Data Plane function

CSCO12099251
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a small query on VPC mac address table.

Lets say I have below topology.

N7K1                                             N7K2

|                                                       |

|                                                       |

N2K1                                              N2K2

|                                                        |

|                                                    |                 

|                                               |

|                                          |

END Device

I have below queries regarding VPC peers MAC table in normal scenario (both peers up)

> Am I expected to see end device MAC address on both N7K peers with respective FEX edge port?

> Can I expect to see any of VPC peer MAC table for this MAC pointing to VPC peer link.

Regards,

Godwin. S

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In this design, you see the mac address of an end device on the primary switch (say N7k1 is the primary) and on the backup switch, you will see the same mac address through the vPC peer-link.

HTH

Hi Reza,

Thanks for your answer. So in this case if I ping from secondary N7K box to end host, it wont be reachable. Right? as peerlink will not pass data trqaffic if the member port is up on local box.

Please advise, as I do not have lab to test.

Regards,

Godwin. S

Hi Godwin,

So, you need to deploy HSRP or VRRP per vlan with one of the boxes being the primary (active) HSRP or VRRP device and the other one work as stand-by.  In this case you, you should be able to reach the end host from both switches. 

HTH

Hi Reza , 

Can you brief why will it start pinging after deploying HSRP ? Why was it not pinging before ?

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco