Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC with Microsoft Switch Embedded Teaming

Configured vPC on my Nexus 3132Q.

Now I want to connect a server host with redundant to it.

In the server are 2 Mellanox ConnectX3 dual 40Gbit cards installed.

All 4 ports have been added to a SET(Switch EmbeddedTeaming).

Now do I connect 2 cables to each Nexus whose port is in trunk mode. Or do I need to create a portchannel and add it to a vPC?

Is the spanning-tree mode "spanning-tree port type edge trunk" correct for the server connection?

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Now do I connect 2 cables to each Nexus whose port is in trunk mode. Or do I need to create a portchannel and add it to a vPC?

You can, but I don't think you nesseccesly need a Portchannel. You can simply connect the physical ports (2 to each chassis), and since the servers are NIC-teamed together, the traffic should failover from one port to another should one of the ports go down. Is the spanning-tree mode "spanning-tree port type edge trunk" correct for the server connection?

Yes, since these ports are connecting to a server, this is the correct command.

HTH

Thanks a lot

Now a Switch Embedded Teaming is always Active/Active
If I just connect the server to the switches, without portchannel, then I don't get load balancing either, right? I would like to achieve that a load balancing takes place.
Will this work if I put the switch interfaces in a portchannel and put them in the vPC?

Spanning tree is configured the same on the Nexus switches.
Both with priority 0. peer-switch is enabled.

Since SET only works switch independent and the mode is dynamic, the portchannel must be configured as "on", correct?

channel-group 10 mode on

Hi,

did you ever get this running? We have the same scenario, however we configured no port-channel on the nexus side, but now face the issue, that the server has network issues when reloading a nexus switch. Then I tested with "channel-group x mode on" and it seems to be more stable.

What is your setup now?

make new post it better

MHM

anyone?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card