Views
Helpful
Replies

VRF-lite and existing EIGRP process

Erik Boon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I want to configure VRF-lite and using EIGRP as routing protocol. It's going to be implemented on an existing configuration whereas EIGRP is configured in the global IP routing. What is the best practice of implementing this? Can I configure an address family within the existing EIGRP process, should I create a new one or is both possible and what is the advantage/disadvantage?

Thanks in advance!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You can use the existing one and just add address-family vrf to it.  This way, there is less configuration involved:

so, if your EIGRP id is 100, you can add:

address-family ipv4 test

network 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255

network 20.20.20.0 0.0.0.255

auton-system 100

exit

You want to make sure you do this during a maintenance windows as it will cause outage.

HTH

View solution in original post

Hello

Depends what you mean by adding vrf to existing eigrp?

If you mean changing the current eigrp peering into a vrf then yes it will cause an outage

however..

If you mean introducing vrf lite on these routers new physical interfaces and using the existing eigrp protocol over the top then
I agree with you this wont cause an outage too the current global eigrp adjacencies - as my understanding vrf utilises its own control/data planes for path determination and forwarding.

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You can use the existing one and just add address-family vrf to it.  This way, there is less configuration involved:

so, if your EIGRP id is 100, you can add:

address-family ipv4 test

network 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255

network 20.20.20.0 0.0.0.255

auton-system 100

exit

You want to make sure you do this during a maintenance windows as it will cause outage.

HTH

Thanks Reza!

I agree I should do this during a maintenance window, but are you sure adding above configuration wil cause een outage in the global routing instance. I tried it in a lab and it didn't.

Erik

Hello

Depends what you mean by adding vrf to existing eigrp?

If you mean changing the current eigrp peering into a vrf then yes it will cause an outage

however..

If you mean introducing vrf lite on these routers new physical interfaces and using the existing eigrp protocol over the top then
I agree with you this wont cause an outage too the current global eigrp adjacencies - as my understanding vrf utilises its own control/data planes for path determination and forwarding.

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

I meant the second scenario. Thanks for completing the answer.

Gr,

Erik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card