cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP Interoperability Between Brocade 7450 and IE4000

mboruk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
I’m running into an issue between a Brocade 7450 and an IE 4000 when running VRRP version 2. They sync with the default gateway and the Cisco shows master and Brocade backup. When we shut the Cisco switch down the Brocade shows as master but we can’t png the virtual gateway address. If we do the opposite the IE 4000 works like a charm. Any tips on making VRRP work between cisco and brocade?

Thanks,
Mike
4 Replies 4

educruz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Good day,
Maybe someone else could comment, but based off the symptoms provided (e.g. VIP cannot be pinged when Brocade is the Active VRRP device) this looks like a Brocade-specific issue. Is there any evidence that you found that could tell you this is an IE issue?

VRRP Active-Master failover seems to work fine so this means the Brocade and IE devices can listen to each other. I would be concerned if somehow, end devices, or switches downstream still believed that the way to reach the VRRP Master switch is still via the IE when it is Standby (not Master anymore), instead of the Brocade (e.g. some old VRRP MAC address still pointing to the wrong interface). You could try to take a packet capture on the incoming interface of the Brocade, to see if the pings are coming in.

Port mirroring and monitoring configuration
http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/configuration-guide/fastiron-08040-monitoringguide/GUID-7165A5D9-141A-4F23-9965-2940D12A672E.html

On the other hand, I wanted to share the Configuration Guide for FHRP for IE switches. It does not look like anything special is required to make them work with 3rd party devices.

Cisco Industrial Ethernet 4000, 4010 and 5000 Switch Software Configuration Guide
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/cisco_ie4010/software/release/15-2_4_EC/configuration/guide/scg-ie4010_5000/swhsrp.html

Hope this helps,
Eduardo.

Thanks Eduardo. I don't thing it's an IE and I'm pretty sure It's the Brocade. Thanks for the help.

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

The fact that you cannot ping the virtual IP address (VIP) is implementation specific. On some implementations, like JunOS, you need to specifically enable the ability for the router to respond to pings to the VIP. According to the Brocade documentation, it looks like pinging the VIP is not supported.

http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/configuration-guide/NI_05800a_ROUTING/GUID-981679F7-274A-4C01-B7AB-B587FB55C00F.html

Does pinging through the router works?

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks Harold  for the help. Pinging through the router works. Just wanted to make sure it was working.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card