Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS between different switch platforms

Adis Cato
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a question, maybe silly one... is it possible to configure VSS between different switch models - 6500 and 6800 for example if they are equipped with same SUP? I have found a lot of Cisco documents where it stands that VSS is supported only between same models, but the guy from the local Cisco office claims that the chassis is passive in the VSS and SUP is a key component... any advice?

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I have never done this before, but I don't think you can mix chassis using the same type of sup because the switching capacities are different between the 6500 and 6800 series.

HTH

Thank you Reza, I have the same opinion...

Thanks for the feedback!

Even if you could get it to work with 2 different chassis, Cisco TAC will not support it.

They don't want deal with unnecessary headache for themselves.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Good TAC question.

If both devices were running the same binary image, and had same license - maybe it would work.

Info from TAC engineer:

From the problem description I can see that you are looking to see is vss is supported between a 6500 series chassis and a 6807 chassis when using the same supervisor:

As per the documentation vss is only supported between similar model chassis. This means that we cannot form a vss pair between the 6500 and the 6807 chassis. In order to form vss you would have to use compatible same model chassis. For example a compatible 6500 chassis would be used with another compatible 6500 chassis.

Ah, well there's a difference between "As per the documentation vss is only supported between similar model chassis." and whether it would actually work.

However, I agree with Reza, generally you don't want to run, at least in production environments, unsupported configurations.

Well, I cannot afford the luxury to sell something to the customer and find out that it does not work. It is too expensive to play with this toy :)

Thank you guys for comments and help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: