Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS in Cisco C 4500-X switches

Ashish Kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Friends,

I'm new to Cisco VSS technology. I worked on HP IRF technology which quite similar to Cisco VSS (hoping so :))

I have a query here, does both switch in VSS accept and forward traffic means can work as active-active.

Ashish.

7 Replies 7

Hello

Vss works as one logical device This can be seen when vss is enabled - As any configuation on either physical switch prior to adding vss will be erased

So after vss is enabled any l2 / l3  traffic will swich or route as one device

Res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Hello Ashish,

does both switch in VSS accept and forward traffic means can work as active-active.

Absolutely! The data plane (responsible for forwarding data) in VSS is active-active whereas the control plane ("brain") is active-standby.

A very recommendable source of informaton are the video-on-demand breakout-sessions at ciscolive.com, for instance: BRKCRS-2468 Cisco Catalyst Virtual Switching System

The speaker is Rolando Salinas, one of my favourite speakers at CiscoLive and I'm looking forward to see him in Berlin the week after next ;)

HTH
Rolf

Hello Rolf,

Thank you for writing :) have a good time at Berlin :)

I am very much familiar with HP networking device. In HP, X-Gig ports are required to form an IRF topology.

What kind of port is required to form a VSS in cisco C4500-X switch. 

Ashish.

Ashish,

please have a a look at the Catalyst 4k VSS Configuration Guide:

Understanding VSL Topology
We recommend that you configure at least two of the 10-Gigabit/1-Gigabit Ethernet ports as VSL, selecting ports from different modules.

HTH
Rolf

Thanks

Hello Rolf,

Videos is not available. Can you pls. help.

Ashish.

Hm, what exactly do you mean by "not available"?

Please check the technical requirements on the Help Page. You have already created an account, right?

HTH
Rolf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco