cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS with same IOS image but different license

vishesh.lib
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 4507 R+E switches with sup7-LE.Both sup are on same IOS. But the problem is that somehow we missed to order enterprise license for one chassis. So we have one chassis on ipbase license.The other chassis has enterprise license.Has anyone faced same scenario? Can we still build VSS with these switches. We do not need BGP or any advanced feature related to enterprise services as of now. That will be needed during next maintenance window and we can get license by that time.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am not sure if it will work, I have seen a reboot on one member of the pair to cause it to lose it license and then complain in the logs about a license mismatch which resulted in the redunadncy state never reaching SSO mode, we rebooted the box shortly after and the license issue was gone and the pair was synced correctly.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi
they should be the same really , could you not enable the eval license on one of them give you 60 days free license, you can purchase in the mean time ?

EDIT.. just checked my 4507s no eval sorry

it may still form as you only need ipbase but its supposed to be one logical unit so it may not like different licenses , i havent tested it like that so not sure

Reading this too , Rezas of the same opinion , different licenses VSS will probably not like it and VSS will break or in your case may not form
Anyway what have you got to lose but try it , doesn't work use them as standalone until you get the new license , could do the old fashioned way before VSS use them with FHRP like HSRP between them temporarily

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/licence-upgrade-for-4500x-vss/td-p/2512046

I am not sure if it will work, I have seen a reboot on one member of the pair to cause it to lose it license and then complain in the logs about a license mismatch which resulted in the redunadncy state never reaching SSO mode, we rebooted the box shortly after and the license issue was gone and the pair was synced correctly.

You are right. it did not reach redundancy state.

Thank You , Mark. Sorry for the late response. It did not work. The standby always kept rebooting with the message " not able to establish RPR due to license " mismatch. I got an evaluation enterprise license and VSS came up. Now I am curious what will happen after the license expires. We are already in the process to order the license. but I am curious what impact will it have when I update the license.

Hi
yes thats what i was thinking may happen , It will need a reboot to take the new license when you install it so prepare for a window , if the eval license fails before then VSL may break putting switches in stand alone mode
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card