cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vtp client saved vlan config in vlan.dat

bagatel
Level 1
Level 1

I have a switch running vtp server that I have set to version 2.

The other switches are vtp clients which I wanted also to set to version 2 but I got the message "cannot modify version in VTP client mode unless the system is in VTP version3"

"Sh vtp status" on the client switches says the clients are running in version 2 (unless the fact I could not perform the command "vtp version 2" with success)

I do not understand why the client has saved the vlan config in it's vlan.dat because version 2 does not save vlan config in vlan.dat only version 3 does that I've read.

3 Replies 3

gs.skills
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

VTP version 1 and 2 are not compatible. When you set a VTP server to version 2, all the switches in the VTP domain will change automatically from version 1 to version 2, if one switch is not version 2 capable then your VTP domain is broken.

So you have to be sure all your switches in your VTP domain are version 2 capable.

You can only set the version in VTP client mode from version 1&2 to version 3 and version 3 to versions 1&2

I think you mix NVRAM and FLASH memory, on my vtp clients there is a vlan.dat file but this file is in flash memory.

The statement about VLAN configuration not saved in client mode (version 1&2) is about NVRAM.

Regards, Guillaume

Thanks for your clear answer.But I have still a question.

Does this mean (because there is a vlan.dat in the vtp client flash memory) that a vtp client running vtp 2 that reboots if the vtp server is down still has it's vlan's knowledge?

Yes it does.

Moreover, a recommended setting is to set all the switches to server mode if they have enough NVRAM/RAM.

Regards, Guillaume

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card