Helpful
Replies

VTP queries

mukundh86
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have these questions regarding VTP:

1. If I connect a new switch (with factory default) to an existing switch having a domain name , Test,  will the new switch become a member of domain Test or not?

2. Does changing of domain name have any effect on the configuration revision number?

Thanks

Mukundh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jimmy,

To my best knowledge, renaming a VTP domain name should also result in the VTP revision being reset to 0. Did you get different results in your lab?

Regarding the first question, in addition to having a working trunk, if the domain is protected by a VTP password, the switch in factory defaults should not adopt the existing VTP domain name because of password mismatch.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

I just tried to lab it up, confirming what I thought....

1)  Yes, if you have a trunk link between them.

2) Noi.

Jimmy,

To my best knowledge, renaming a VTP domain name should also result in the VTP revision being reset to 0. Did you get different results in your lab?

Regarding the first question, in addition to having a working trunk, if the domain is protected by a VTP password, the switch in factory defaults should not adopt the existing VTP domain name because of password mismatch.

Best regards,

Peter

Thank you Peter, I read the question to quickly.  On my lab I it was zero to begin with so I did not see any change of course.

Thanks Jimmy and Peter for your inputs

Mukundh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card