cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP server question

vincentgruber8
Level 1
Level 1

In regards to vtp server mode, does one switch in server mode update another switch in server mode?  the material states that you can create, add, or delete in this mode, but I am not finding about updates.  I am curious if I had more than one switch in server mode.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Joseph,

>>

"Actually in VTP version 2 even a VTP client with an higher revision number can update the whole Vlan database!!!"

I thought that's also true for version 1.(?)

Yes it is of course true also for VTP version 1. Thanks for your correction.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Vincent,

the answer is yes in VTP version 1 and 2 if the one VTP server makes a change and increase the revision number all switches in VTP domain will follow both clients and other VTP servers.

In VTP version 3, there is the concept of primary server and only the primary is allowed to make changes.

Actually in VTP version 2 even a VTP client with an higher revision number can update the whole Vlan database!!!

This is why when connecting a new switch is better to power on it isolated and to make its revision number to become zero by changing VTP domain name and or setting to VTP mode transparent and then back to VTP mode client.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

"Actually in VTP version 2 even a VTP client with an higher revision number can update the whole Vlan database!!!"

Hello Joseph,

>>

Yes it is of course true also for VTP version 1. Thanks for your correction.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card