Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Transparent vs Off

dm2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Hopefully a quick questions. I need to disable VTP on our access and distribution switches as we dont want VTP to operate on our network. What is typically the best/recommended way to do this now? Is it better to use VTP mode transparent or off? What are the differences between the two?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A switch in VTP off mode functions in the same manner as a VTP transparent switch, except that it does not forward VTP advertisements on trunks.

reference document.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12-2_52_se/configuration/guide/3560scg/swvtp.html#wp1205076

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Andrew Khalil
Spotlight
Spotlight

@dm2020

Greetings, 

In addition to the reply of @balaji.bandi i would like to add that In you case you should use the off mode, and as a result you will not find any traffic related to the vtp in your network.

Please don’t forget to rate all helpful responses and mark solutions! 

Bst Rgds,

Andrew Khalil

Amar_Rajpoot
Level 1
Level 1

VTP transparent mode: The switch configured in VTP transparent mode will not make change in its database and will actively forward VTP messages.

VTP off mode: The switch configured in VTP off mode is will not make change in its database and will NOT forward VTP messages.

PS: VLAN information is saved in running-configuration wherein VTP other modes its saved in "vlan.dat" file in flash.

HTH,

Amar

Will you need VTP messages to go through these switches to other switches that are using VTP? If so then you will need to use transparent mode. If VTP is not used at all in your network, or nor VTP messages need to go through these particular switches then VTP off.

There is a huge difference between VTP transparent mode and OFF.

OFF : We are not enabling VTP itself in a switch meaning the Switch is not participating in VTP

Transparent : The switch is participating, however, its not going to update and VLAN information from the server, it will just pass the vlan details to next switch. 

Lets take an example of Switch "B"

OFF mode :

Switch A ----------- Switch B --------------Switch C

Vlan10,20                       No vlans                          No vlans

Transparent mode :

Switch A-------------Switch B---------------Switch C

Vlan 10,20                    No vlan                              Vlan 10,20

Hope this answers the query. 

If you feel my answers are right please do not click on the solution and click on the star button. 

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card