cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wake on Lan w Nexus 9000 and Catalyst 2960-X

joebrug
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to enable WOL so I can push out software in the middle of the night to all desktops. 

I've enabled WOL in the bios of my Dell PC, when powered off.. the NIC lights are now on (they weren't before).

There are multiple VLANs involved.

Not sure what I need to do on the Cisco side of things to enable this though. I downloaded SolarWinds free Wake on LAN app to a VM that is on Vlan 172. Tried to wake up a machine that is on Vlan 1020 and nothing happens. 

Doing some searches, I'm seeing some mixed answers, so unsure where to go from here. 

I have two NX's at our core.. with Catalysts hanging off of those via trunks, and desktops are plugged into the Catalysts. 

Let me know if more information is require! Thanks in advance

9 Replies 9

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

You say your testing app is on a different vlan from your target vlan so i will assume there is a layer3 device routing between them.

Enabling ip directed-broadcast on the L3 interface attached to the destination subnet should be done. It is advised to attach an ACL to the command also to limit it to certain hosts.

hi Grant, thanks for response.

Yes, the Nexus 9000's are my layer3 devices in this setup. The catalysts are just layer 2 for my purposes, more or less. 

I did set "ip directed-broadcast" on VLAN 1020 (where computer is).. didn't seem to help. Is that the right place to do that?

I understand re: ACL, I currently have none. Once I get WOL working, I will look at implementing an ACL to limit traffic. 

Hello,

NX-OS has changed the 'ip helper-address' to 'ip dhcp relay', also, I think the 'ip forward-protocol' needs 'feature dhcp' enabled first. Annoying...

Morning,

I have "ip dhcp relay" and "ip dhcp relay address 172.16.1.27" (my WOL server). Also, I opened a case with Cisco last night about it. They said:

"Could you please try the following configurations:

• In the global config mode :

feature dhcp

ip dhcp relay information option

• Under the VLAN interface

ip dhcp relay <ip>

The ‘ip forward-protocol’ is not an option the nexus."

Didnt seem to make a difference, either.

Hello,

WOL on Cisco switches usually involves udp protocol forwarding (ip forward-protocol udp 7), IP helper addresses and ip directed broadcast enabled on the switch. Can you post the configs you have so far ?

Have a look at the document below for reference:

Catalyst Layer 3 Switch for Wake-On-LAN Support Across VLANs Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/91672-catl3-wol-vlans.html

hi Georg,

My servers/VMs are plugged into the Nexus 9000's, in VLAN 172. I'm testing from a server with an IP of 172.16.1.27, you'll see its added to relay addresses for VLAN 1020. I then have trunks/port channels set up to go to the catalysts, where the devices hang off of. I don't have the mentioned "ip forward-protocol udp 7".. where does that go?

I don't know if you need entire config.. but here is some: any other relevant sections you want to see?

interface Vlan172
no shutdown
no ip redirects
ip address 172.16.0.10/21
ip pim sparse-mode
hsrp version 2
hsrp 172
ip 172.16.0.1

interface Vlan1020
no shutdown
ip address 10.10.20.3/24
ip directed-broadcast
hsrp version 2
hsrp 1020
ip 10.10.20.1
ip dhcp relay address 172.16.1.22
ip dhcp relay address 172.16.1.21
ip dhcp relay address 172.16.1.27

Hello,

that command is configured globally:

Switch(config)#ip forward-protocol udp 7

That said, go through the document I attached in the first post, it has a sample setup which you can tailor to your own IP addressing...

Georg,

I'll look at the doc you attached, but I don't seem to have the ability to add that command on my NX 9732 NXOS: version 7.0(3)I4(5). Am I dead in the water?

NX9K-1(config)# ip fo?
^
% Invalid parameter detected at '^' marker.

I think the "ip dhcp relay address" should be configured on the server's vlan interface, and point to the directed broadcast address of the client vlan. Something like:

interface Vlan172

ip dhcp relay address 10.10.3.255

interface Vlan1020

no shutdown
ip address 10.10.20.3/24
ip directed-broadcast

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card