cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what is the difference between cisco cbs and catalyst

cemrecanaltinel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone ,what is the difference between cisco cbs and catalyst.I am using C9300L-24T-4X-A or CBS350-24T-4X for a customer. 2 switches are sufficient for my port needs and I do not have a very large network. What are the disadvantages of using CBS350 for me?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @cemrecanaltinel 

The Cisco Catalyst and CBS series serve different market segments. The Catalyst switches are enterprise-grade, offering advanced features and scalability, while CBS switches are designed for small to medium-sized businesses with simpler needs.

In your case, using either the Cisco Catalyst C9300L-24T-4X-A or CBS350-24T-4X depends on your specific requirements. The Catalyst switch is more feature-rich and suitable for larger networks with advanced needs, while the CBS switch is a cost-effective solution for smaller setups.

Disadvantages of using the CBS350 for your scenario might include limited advanced features compared to the Catalyst series. If your network is not expected to grow significantly, and you don't require the advanced capabilities of the Catalyst, the CBS350 can be a more economical choice.

Consider factors like scalability, feature requirements, and budget constraints to make an informed decision based on your specific network needs.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @cemrecanaltinel 

The Cisco Catalyst and CBS series serve different market segments. The Catalyst switches are enterprise-grade, offering advanced features and scalability, while CBS switches are designed for small to medium-sized businesses with simpler needs.

In your case, using either the Cisco Catalyst C9300L-24T-4X-A or CBS350-24T-4X depends on your specific requirements. The Catalyst switch is more feature-rich and suitable for larger networks with advanced needs, while the CBS switch is a cost-effective solution for smaller setups.

Disadvantages of using the CBS350 for your scenario might include limited advanced features compared to the Catalyst series. If your network is not expected to grow significantly, and you don't require the advanced capabilities of the Catalyst, the CBS350 can be a more economical choice.

Consider factors like scalability, feature requirements, and budget constraints to make an informed decision based on your specific network needs.

Best regards

thank you for reply.It s so helpful explanation.I want to ask one thing,can I cofigure simple configuration on cbs350 such as create a vlan,assign a vlan,configure snmp or configure port mirroring etc ?

Your're so welcome @cemrecanaltinel 

Here the holy bible: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/CBS_250_350/Administration-Guide/cbs-350.pdf

Best regards

@cemrecanaltinel 

"I want to ask one thing,can I cofigure simple configuration on cbs350 such as create a vlan,assign a vlan,configure snmp or configure port mirroring etc ?"

The short answer is yes. However those feature may need to be configured somewhat differently than in the Catalyst line.

Kris K

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Small business devices usually are more limited in capacities , as for instance throughput and (up) link  , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Hi everyone ,what is the difference between cisco cbs and catalyst."

$$$, for one major difference!  ; )

As the other posters have noted the two switches are directed toward different markets.  Basically, it's somewhat similar to VWs versus Mercedes.  Both autos provide transportation, but not with the same amenities nor possibly with the same zero to sixty times.

You write two 24 port switches are sufficient for your port needs and the network isn't very large.  Unfortunately, those two attributes, alone, possibly aren't sufficient to well determine whether you should use a Catalyst switch vs. a CBS switch.

Unfortunately, doing an adequate analysis to determine a suitable switch isn't easy (nor inexpensive).

Truthfully, many smaller businesses choose the less expensive option because that's all they can afford.

Larger businesses will often choose the more expensive switch "just-in-case" and because they can afford to (it also avoids a time consuming and expensive analysis [and the funds that would be needed for analysis can, instead, be applied to the more expensive switch]).

BTW, in my experience, really large Enterprises do sometimes conduct detailed platform selection analysis but usually just in two cases.  First, when you're looking to acquire lots (hundred+) of such devices or the device is very, very expensive (million+).  Otherwise, a very large Enterprise works on obtaining the best discount off list percentage possible (along with other "considerations").

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card