cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the function of "service disable-ip-fast-frag" command?

Cown
Level 1
Level 1

I can't seem to find any documentation for most of the service commands in relation to routers. So does anyone know the function of "service disable-ip-fast-frag" command and what it does exactly?

Regards.

Cisco DEVNET 500 Certified.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
It tells you in the router when you tab it out , it most likely a security feature to prevent fragmentation attacks that can occur on interfaces for ddos

disable-ip-fast-frag Disable IP particle-based fast fragmentation

IP fragmentation attacks are a common form of denial of service attack, in which the perpetrator overbears a network by exploiting datagram fragmentation mechanisms

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
It tells you in the router when you tab it out , it most likely a security feature to prevent fragmentation attacks that can occur on interfaces for ddos

disable-ip-fast-frag Disable IP particle-based fast fragmentation

IP fragmentation attacks are a common form of denial of service attack, in which the perpetrator overbears a network by exploiting datagram fragmentation mechanisms

Sort of the conclusion i came to, i'm just wondering why Cisco has no official description of the command. When i search for fragmentation attack on Cisco they recommend using ACLs to prevent that, so bit confused. 

did you check the config guide for that release on the Cisco website , usually wherever the command is available there will be a short description by alphabetical order for each command and its use purpose

Link?

you could try this link you would need to go into each topic an search for the service command unless you know which one it belongs too

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/routers/asr-1000-series-aggregation-services-routers/products-command-reference-list.html
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco