Views
Helpful
Replies

what's a LOOP traffic in ethereal?

Sanghee Han
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm testing and analyzing the captured packet in ethereal.

but i can't know about LOOP traffic.

I connect two routers each other with fast-ethernet.

R1 ------------------------------------- R2

fa0/1                                    fa0/1

then R1 and R2 send the LOOP traffic each other per 60 secs.

R1's fast ethernet MAC : 00:1a:6c:fe:49:80

R2's fast ethernet MAC : 00:1a:6c:70:7a:66

when R1 and R2 connect each other and any configuration is not applyed in that interface,

R1 sends LOOP frame into the media as the below

source_MAC : 00:1a:6c:fe:49:80

destination_MAC : 00:1a:6c:fe:49:80

finally, source_MAC and destination_MAC is the same.

ScreenHunter_001.jpg

what is this frame??

is it keepalive frame?

why R1 sends LOOP frame that has use the same MAC(source and destination MAC)

if R1 sends the above LOOP frame,

I think R2 will ignore it because desination MAC is not R2's MAC.

is the reason that R1 sends LOOP frame just to test media state?

i attache the captured cap file.

you can find this issue in odd packet number(1,3,5....)

20 Replies 20

Hello Peter,

this is my current understanding of ethernet keepalive.

if I take an Rj-45 ethernet port for example an ethernet of a PA 4E and i leave it unplugged the interface is down/down

If with the port unplugged I disable keepalive (no keepalive under interface config) the ports  comes up and it is even pingable (because when pinging an ethernet interface the packet is not sent out on the wire like it happens with serial or ATM interfaces).

Ethernet interfaces have no carrier to be detected and no TDM framing to be detected.

My first idea was that keepalive frames were sent out with MAC SA= router NIC MAC and MAC DA= broadcast.

I've done some searches and most of links point to the following:

http://www.mit.edu/~jhawk/ctp.pdf

http://lwn.net/Articles/330797/

ECTP packets can be sent to unicast, broadcast, or the ECTP reserved
+       cf:00:00:00:00:00 multicast address

>> If the LOOP frame was supposed to be received back, what would be the action if it was not received back?

see above to consider the port down

the fact that receving back its own keepalive frames is a sign of a loop for me is related to a famous bug on C3750 and other switches on fiber based ports where the suggested workaround was to disable keepalive on those ports.

This bug has been discussed in several threads in the forums.

It is reasonable that if the  objective is to test capability to send and receive ethernet frames a test with a frame sent out on wire and then received back would be the most meaningful.

Sanghee:

http://wiki.wireshark.org/Loop

We are speaking of something so basic, that received frames could be simply ignored and not passed to upper layers as suggested in above documents. I will look again at how you did your tests.

I'm ready to change my mind again about this as I did several times in the past.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

This is going to be a long post. Please bear with me...

First, the results of my lab experiment. I have tested the behavior of 2950, 2960 and 3560 series switches to a looped port. The switch under test was connected via Fa0/1 to a hub (for sniffing purposes) and the hub was subsequently connected to another switch whose other two ports were intentionally connected together, creating a loop. If the switch under test sent a frame via its Fa0/1 port, it arrived at the second switch, looped and returned back. I watched for the frame reflection on the hub and observed the behavior of the switch under test.

The 2950 switch was running C2950 Software (C2950-I6K2L2Q4-M), Version 12.1(22)EA13. The switch was booted with its configuration completely erased, and was initially configured using these commands:

no cdp run
vtp mode transparent
no span vlan 1-4094
int ra fa0/1 - 24
switchport mode access
no keepalive
exit

The STP, VTP, CDP and LOOP protocols were disabled by this cofniguration. After this configuration, no frames were sent out the Fa0/1 interface. Then, I have activated the LOOP frames on the Fa0/1 using the commands:

int fa0/1
keepalive
exit

The Fa0/1 started sending the LOOP frames that looped on the second switch and returned back. Upon receiving its own LOOP frame, the switch displayed on the console:

00:34:01: %ETHCNTR-3-LOOP_BACK_DETECTED: Keepalive packet loop-back detected on FastEthernet0/1.
00:34:01: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: loopback error detected on Fa0/1, putting Fa0/1 in err-disable state
00:34:01: STP SW: Fa0/1 new disabled req for 1 vlans
00:34:02: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down
00:34:03: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down

The Fa0/1 was subsequently put into looped err-disabled state.

Following this experiment, I have deactivated the LOOP protocol on the Fa0/1 and activated the STP instead:

int fa0/1

shut

no keep

no shut

exit

span vlan 1

After the Fa0/1 went up and started sending BPDUs, they again looped back. The switch did not produce any console message and the port remained up/up, however, the show spanning-tree commands revealed the following (only relevant sections follow):

show span int fa0/1:

Vlan             Role Sts Cost      Prio.Nbr Type
---------------- ---- --- --------- -------- --------------------------------
VLAN0001         Desg LBK 100       128.1    Shr

show span int fa0/1 detail:

Port 1 (FastEthernet0/1) of VLAN0001 is self-looped

Note that the 2950 identified the port as LBK (looped back) and has put it into blocking state. After removing the loop and waiting 20 seconds (the max_age), the port again went through listening/learning/forwarding states.

The 2960 switch was running C2960 Software (C2960-LANBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(50)SE1. The initial configuration was identical to the 2950 and so was the individual test procedure.

After enabling only the LOOP protocol on the Fa0/1, the switch reacted to the looped frame by the following console message:

*Mar  1 00:27:31.725: %ETHCNTR-3-LOOP_BACK_DETECTED: Loop-back detected on FastEthernet0/1.
*Mar  1 00:27:31.725: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: loopback error detected on Fa0/1, putting Fa0/1 in err-disable state
*Mar  1 00:27:31.733: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down
*Mar  1 00:27:33.730: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down

The messages are slightly differently formulated but the reaction is identical to 2950 - the port is errdisabled.

After reenabling the interface, deactivating the LOOP protocol and activating the STP, the port behaved identically to the 2950 behavior - it remained up/up but was identified as looped and held in blocking state:

show span:

Interface           Role Sts Cost      Prio.Nbr Type
------------------- ---- --- --------- -------- --------------------------------
Fa0/1               Desg BLK 100       128.1    Shr self-looped

show span int fa0/1 detail:

Port 1 (FastEthernet0/1) of VLAN0001 is designated blocking, self-looped

The 3560 was running C3560 Software (C3560-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(50)SE1. The initial configuration and the individual tests were identical as before - and so were the results.

After activating only the LOOP protocol on Fa0/1, the switch put the port into errdisabled state, saying:

*Mar  1 00:36:51.035: %ETHCNTR-3-LOOP_BACK_DETECTED: Loop-back detected on FastEthernet0/1.
*Mar  1 00:36:51.035: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: loopback error detected on Fa0/1, putting Fa0/1 in err-disable state
*Mar  1 00:36:51.044: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down
*Mar  1 00:36:53.040: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down

After reenabling the port, disabling the LOOP and activating the STP, the port remained up/up but was identified as looped:

show span:

Interface           Role Sts Cost      Prio.Nbr Type
------------------- ---- --- --------- -------- --------------------------------
Fa0/1               Desg BLK 100       128.3    Shr self-looped

show span int fa0/1 de:
Port 3 (FastEthernet0/1) of VLAN0001 is designated blocking, self-looped

To me, it seems that the LOOP frames are indeed used as a mechanism to verify whether a port is self-looped. Receiving a looped STP BPDU does not result in errdisabling the port.

You wrote that the LOOP protocol is used, for example, on PA-4E adapters to make sure that it is up/up when connected to another peering device. I am not sure about that one. The behavior of Ethernet ports on a switch and on a router differs significantly. A port on a router, at least for x600 and x800 series routers, is up/down if it is unplugged. An Ethernet port on a router is never in down/down state. Furthermore, it will go up/up as soon as it is connected to anything, including a hub - and obviously, a hub cannot send back a LOOP frame. I know that configuring no keepalive on a router Ethernet port makes the port go up/up and stops sending LOOP frames. However, the LOOP frames appear to be totally unused. I have made a quick test with looping the LOOP frames on a router. Nothing happened! The router completely ignores that it receives its own LOOP frames, and it also completely ignores if it does not receive them at all! It seems to me that on router, the LOOP is some kind of remainder of past and it actually does nothing.

A switch Ethernet port is down/down if it is unplugged, and up/up if it is connected. On switches, I have not ecountered a switchport that is up/down. The no keepalive command on a switch port cannot be used to make a switchport go up/up - it has to be physically connected.

A capability of a port to determine whether it is able to send and receive frames - yes, that is something that the Ethernet is lacking. If I remember correctly, the old 10Mbps versions of Ethernet used the SQE signalling to know if the transmitter is connected. The TP versions of Ethernet starting with 10 Mbps and faster actually periodically transmit the NLP/FLP pulses to detect a connectivity with the other party, and the 100Base-TX and 1000Base-T transceivers actually continually exchange so-called IDLE symbols when no frames are sent to maintain the synchronization of scrambling circuitry. In a sense, there is a send/transmit capability test built into Ethernet but it is still at Layer1. Frame-based connectivity tests do not seem to be a regular part of Ethernet implementation - perhaps the Ethernet OAM will change this?

Ooops, sorry for being so lengthy

Best regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

your results are interesting and show a behaviuor near to your description at least on Cisco LAN switches

I had found some papers that were comforting my idea of keepalive but your tests are clear.

Ad yes thosePA 4E ethernet ports if unplugged were up/down forgive me I'm at home for a sick leave and it was ten years ago.

I need some young brilliant mind like yours to keep on track.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

It was a pleasure to make this lab. I have also confirmed many important things to myself. So you're on a sick leave? I am sorry to read that. I sincerely hope you will get well soon!

Regarding that remark about "young brilliant minds"... no comment

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter and Giuseppe,

I came to the office just now and surprised at many reply.

thanks for your kindly answer and comments.

it's a great help for me.

at now, understand the keepalive(loop) frame clearly.

thanks agian.

i'm sorry that i can't express my appreciation well because of my poor english.

but i believe you may understand what i'm saying

Hi,

recently I've done some test to better understand router ethernet keepalives. On C3725 show interface for an unplugged fastethernet shows only outgoing pkts 60 byte each (ethernet LOOP frames):

C3725#sh run int fa0/1

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 88 bytes

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

no cdp enable

end

C3725#sh int f0/1

FastEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is down

Hardware is Gt96k FE, address is 0007.b35b.d2f1 (bia 0007.b35b.d2f1)

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Auto-duplex, Auto Speed, 100BaseTX/FX

ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

Last input 2d12h, output never, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:04:05

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)

5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

0 packets input, 0 bytes

Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 watchdog

0 input packets with dribble condition detected

24 packets output, 1440 bytes, 0 underruns <---------- 24 keepalives sent 60 byte each

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets

0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred

0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

C3725#

fa1/0 is unplugged and the state is (up, down).

Connecting now fa1/0 to a switch port i/f state change in (up, up); however traffic sniffing shows only LOOP frames sent but not received back.

So I try to guess the objective behind ethernet keepalive is just check if local controller is able to physically transmit frames on the wire (tx pair).

Does it make sense ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card