cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where is the config stored on a GESM 371098-001 blade switch?

zaktros
Level 1
Level 1

I received 3 GESM cisco blade switches for a HP Blade system. I do not have the chassis. I need to sanitize these blade switches but I have never worked with these. I don't see any removable flash. Where is the config stored?

7 Replies 7

Gregory Snipes
Level 4
Level 4

The config is stored in "nvram:" filesystem, It is not necessary to know that however as "erase startup-config" will delete it regardless of it's location.

That said, I am not sure how you would power them up to sanitize them if you do not have a chassis for them. The NVRAM is soldered to the board.

Oh, and here is the guidance for that device if you want. The relevant information is under "Working with the Flash File System".

Thanks! I guess I will have to remove the nvram from the board. Any idea which chip(s) it or they are?

Since removing the NVRAM chip is going to render the thing completely inoperable anyway, I would just repeatedly smash the whole thing with a hammer. The chip would be a single small flash chip soldered directly to the board, best I can do in that respect.

Edit: OOOOooooo.... or light them on fire.

Pulverizing with a hammer and lighting on fire were both approved methods for destroying classified electronics when I work for the government, also lighting off a thermite grenade on top of a pile of them, but was only to be used in combat when under attack. So either of these methods should be sufficient to protect your security.

Thanks for your help. I will remove the motherboard and have it burned and scrap the rest of it.

The grenade sounds like the fun way to do it. Some of our sites have used steamrollers to sanitize their equipment. Others have taken them out to the range...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card