Views
Helpful
Replies

Which router to buy?

ciscouser50
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking for a router to route between VLANs on a Cisco Small Business 300 Series 10-port Gigabit Managed Switch.

The router needs to support 802.1Q and also have Gigabit ports.

I have been looking at the Cisco small business RV series of routers but most of these seem like Wireless routers and I don't know if these will act as proper routers.

I already have a Cisco SRP547 and this does not seem to have proper 802.1Q support.

Can anyone suggest a router that is going to do the job for me?

12 Replies 12

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use the 1921 router.  It comes with 2 copper 10/100/1000 ports and has room for expansion slots for feature use.

see table-7 in this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7290/ps10589/data_sheet_c78-598389.html

HTH

If it can route between VLANs then that's great but I've had issues setting it up and someone else on the form said I need a router.

I have a XenServer, a nas, and basic ADSL wireless router.

My goal is to separate management and storage traffic for the XenServer by plugging into different VLANs on the 300 switch but I also want to be able to access the XenServer and NAS from devices connected to the wireless router (which I'll plug into the switch.

Struggled for a while to get the port settings right but I don't know whether to use trunk, access, untagged, tagged etc and it is not like I have not read any documentation before coming here.

Struggled for a while to get the port settings right but I don't know  whether to use trunk, access, untagged, tagged etc and it is not like I  have not read any documentation before coming here.

Usually the ports that face the servers, users, possibly NAS are access ports (untagged) unless you are running VMs and the server needs to be in multiple vlans.  The port that connects the switch to the router usually is trunked (tagged) because it needs to carry multiple vlans to the router.

HTH

All, thanks for the help so far.

Reza > Can I set the the port that my broadband router is plugged into to Trunk if the other end (my broadband router) does not support it.

It is just a very basic ADSL router. I read that both ends of the cable need to be set to Trunk, is that correct?

If your router dosn't support trunking, then there is no need and no sense in setting the switchport to trunk. But technically speaking, yes you can, as long as you configure the native vlan correctly.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks Karsten,

So I should set the port that the ADSL router is connected to to Access?

The issue I was having was I would set the port to Trunk but then when I would add it to the VLANs I would lose access to the switch via the ADSL router.

So I should set the port that the ADSL router is connected to to Access?

yes, thats the normal config for these small routers.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Apologies but I cannot get this to work.

I have ADSL router connected to port 10.

I have a server connected to port 1 which is Access, Untagged, VLAN 2

If I set port 10 port to Trunk and tagged in VLANs 2, and 3 then I cannot access the server connected to port 1

If I set port 10 to access then it can only be a member of 1 VLAN.

The only way I can gain access to the server is if I plug into a port configured as Access, VLAN 2.

Have you already configured routing on the Switch? Without that it can't work.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I think I am 99% there now.

I upgraded the firmware on the router and changed it to Layer 3 mode.

The issues is I still cannot ping between VLANs. Specifically via the trunk port.

I read that routes are created automatically on the SG300 when a device is plugged into a VLAN.

I have confirmed that I can ping devices from the CLI and from the same VLAN.

Below is my config

switch5ed882#sh config

% Unrecognized command

switch5ed882#show running

config-file-header

switch5ed882

v1.2.7.76 / R750_NIK_1_2_584_002

CLI v1.0

file SSD indicator encrypted

@

ssd-control-start

ssd config

ssd file passphrase control unrestricted

no ssd file integrity control

ssd-control-end cb0a3fdb1f3a1af4e4430033719968c0

!

vlan database

vlan 3

exit

voice vlan oui-table add 0001e3 Siemens_AG_phone________

voice vlan oui-table add 00036b Cisco_phone_____________

voice vlan oui-table add 00096e Avaya___________________

voice vlan oui-table add 000fe2 H3C_Aolynk______________

voice vlan oui-table add 0060b9 Philips_and_NEC_AG_phone

voice vlan oui-table add 00d01e Pingtel_phone___________

voice vlan oui-table add 00e075 Polycom/Veritel_phone___

voice vlan oui-table add 00e0bb 3Com_phone______________

no ip arp proxy disable

bonjour interface range vlan 1

hostname switch5ed882

username cisco password encrypted 4f86d25cdf0d9ad3e9eb00b91

lege 15

ip telnet server

!

interface vlan 1

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

no ip address dhcp

!

interface vlan 3

name Stoage

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface gigabitethernet1

switchport mode access

!

interface gigabitethernet2

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 3

switchport general pvid 3

!

interface gigabitethernet3

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 3

!

interface gigabitethernet4

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 3

!

interface gigabitethernet5

switchport mode access

!

interface gigabitethernet6

switchport mode access

!

interface gigabitethernet7

switchport mode access

!

interface gigabitethernet8

switchport mode access

!

interface gigabitethernet9

More: ,  Quit: q or CTRL+Z, One line:

Do you really need a dedicated router? The SG300 is a layer3-switch and can route between VLans on it's own.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Karsen asks, why do you need a dedicated router?  If you're working with 10G ports, most ISR routers are incapable of single gig sustained performance.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card