cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why are we need set ip domain in the configuration the ssh ?

eduangelo
Level 1
Level 1

Am I can configurate ssh whithout set ip domain name?

Which is importanting the ip domain name in the configuration the ssh?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @eduangel,

This is because the rsa key name is composed by host name and domain name, and since ssh needs an rsa key in order to work, we need to specifiy a domain name before configuring the rsa key.

Regards

View solution in original post

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

By default on Cisco IOS, when generation rsa keys, it names it using hostname+domain-name.

If you add the keyword LABEL xxxx (where xxxx corresponds to a name you want), you'll see you won't get any error message anymore.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Francesco already answered your question. For some more info on this topic, I have written a little document:

Guide to better SSH-Security

3 Replies 3

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @eduangel,

This is because the rsa key name is composed by host name and domain name, and since ssh needs an rsa key in order to work, we need to specifiy a domain name before configuring the rsa key.

Regards

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

By default on Cisco IOS, when generation rsa keys, it names it using hostname+domain-name.

If you add the keyword LABEL xxxx (where xxxx corresponds to a name you want), you'll see you won't get any error message anymore.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Francesco already answered your question. For some more info on this topic, I have written a little document:

Guide to better SSH-Security

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card