WIC-2T card on 2610XM Router

Raghavendra Rai
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a 2610XM router, and a WIC-2T card

2610XM#sh version                      

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.3(3a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.

But when i insert WIC-2T card it is not detecting

2610XM#sh inve

2610XM-SK-Standby#sh inventory

NAME: "", DESCR: "2610XM chassis, Hw Serial#: 930466670, Hw Revision: 0x100"

PID:                   , VID:    , SN:

Is it because of the IOS version? can you please help me in this case?

Is it supported? or do I need to upgrade the IOS?

Thans,

Raghavendra

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Raghavendra,

I am not sure about modules being identified in show inventory if they are not recognized by the IOS. Sadly, I have no way of verifying that. It is also possible that if you have the HWIC, it is not compatible with the bus in the router and possibly being unable to even successfully communicate with the router backplane. HWIC cards use a different kind of serial communication controller than WICs and the inability of HWIC working in 2600 router is hardware-based.

Would you mind running the show diag and posting the output as well?

In any case, the type should be written somewhere on the WIC/HWIC module - faceplate, PCB, etc... Is there something that could be indicative of the type?

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Raghavendra,

As far as I know, the WIC-2T are one of the oldest supported WICs on 2600 series routers, and you should not be needing any specially high IOS version to see the WIC being supported.

However, there is a new version of this card currently in sale, the HWIC-2T. This is not supported on 2600 series routers, only on the x800 series. Is it possible that you have this HWIC-2T module instead?

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks peter,

In that case this card should have been shown in "show inventory" command right?

is there any other way to trouble shoot this problem?

Thanks,

Raghavendra

Hello Raghavendra,

I am not sure about modules being identified in show inventory if they are not recognized by the IOS. Sadly, I have no way of verifying that. It is also possible that if you have the HWIC, it is not compatible with the bus in the router and possibly being unable to even successfully communicate with the router backplane. HWIC cards use a different kind of serial communication controller than WICs and the inability of HWIC working in 2600 router is hardware-based.

Would you mind running the show diag and posting the output as well?

In any case, the type should be written somewhere on the WIC/HWIC module - faceplate, PCB, etc... Is there something that could be indicative of the type?

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I think it was problem in my hardware, I removed the card and inserted it again it started showing in Show diag command and now i can see serial interfaces in "Sh ip int brief". But still sh inventory command does not show it.

Anyhow now its detecting..

Thanks again for your support.

Raghavendra

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card