Views
Helpful
Replies

Wierd Switch VTP Issue

smiths@prpa.org
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I've got an interesting issue with a switch that I'm unable to resolve. Its a 3550 connected to another switch on our network that is trunked and carrying VLAN information and I can confirm the VTP mode, password and connectivity are fine. The issue is that from this switch I'm unable to see anything on a specific VLAN. For example, we have a device that has a 10.250.8.19 address assigned to it. From this switch I can ping another device elsewhere on the network that has an IP address of 10.250.8.1. However, if I ping 10.250.8.19 nothing is returned. Simply times out. This 8.19 device is directly connected to a port that has been assigned the proper VLAN of 250.

Below is a listing of the VTP status of the switches that are directly connected. Top one is the server bottom is the client. I've changed the bottom one or the 3550 to transparent mode with no change in its ability to ping the 10.250.8.19 device. I've bounced the port this device is in, setup another port on the same switch, bounced the switch itself, etc. All with no change...still cannot ping or see the .8.19 device. If we plug in this device into another switch on our network it responds.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

VTP Version                     : 2
Configuration Revision          : 20
Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005
Number of existing VLANs        : 12
VTP Operating Mode              : Server
VTP Domain Name                 : corp
VTP Pruning Mode                : Disabled
VTP V2 Mode                     : Disabled
VTP Traps Generation            : Disabled

VTP Version                     : 2
Configuration Revision          : 0
Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005
Number of existing VLANs        : 10
VTP Operating Mode              : Client
VTP Domain Name                 : corp
VTP Pruning Mode                : Disabled
VTP V2 Mode                     : Disabled
VTP Traps Generation            : Disabled

~S

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

siddhartham
Level 4
Level 4

Do you control the VLANs that you allow on the trunk links between switches (Switchport trunk allowed vlan) if so can you make sure that you are allowing vlan 250 on the trunk? Are the other VLANs on the same switch are working fine?

How many uplinks do you have from the problem switch to the upstream switch? Can you do a sh spanning-tree vlan 250 and make that everything looks fine (root switch ..etc)

Siddhartha

Siddhartha

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

siddhartham
Level 4
Level 4

Do you control the VLANs that you allow on the trunk links between switches (Switchport trunk allowed vlan) if so can you make sure that you are allowing vlan 250 on the trunk? Are the other VLANs on the same switch are working fine?

How many uplinks do you have from the problem switch to the upstream switch? Can you do a sh spanning-tree vlan 250 and make that everything looks fine (root switch ..etc)

Siddhartha

Siddhartha

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Have you noticed that the client's Revision number is 0?
A "debug sw-vlan vtp ..." Could help finding out what's going wrong.
Maybe there are whitespaces in the Domain Name or password?
To be safe, you could just re-type them.

Hope that helps
Rolf

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Hello

On the vtp server create a bogus vlan and see if then the vtp database of the client is updated.

On the vtp client make sure ip routing is disabled and for management purposes apply a default-gateway.

Sh int trunk ( on each switch)

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

your client/server setup is not working .  If it was working correctly the revision number would be the same on both switches and the number of vlans would match.Somewhere your config is wrong , whether it's the vtp password or vtp domain name or the trunk config.   Post config for relevant vtp info and the configs for your attaching trunk ports between both switches .   Are you allowing all vlans across that trunk or is it  manually pruned with just the vlans needed ?  If it's pruned then you must allow the new vlan across the trunk also.

smiths@prpa.org
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the help. It was a trunk issue.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card