cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C3750X-48PF-S CPU Utilization

engmkhalifa
Level 1
Level 1

First of all I purchased the switches with part no. WS-C3750X-48P with the following IOS c3750e-universalk9-mz.150-1.SE1 & IOS feature license to work as ipservice.

Symptoms:

1)      - When running the switches in stack mode (connecting the booth switch with full-duplex stack) I found the cpu utilization on each switch reached to 34% The Hulc LED Process reaches to 20%

3)      - After about 1 hour  with no connections to the switch I found the status not changed.

4)      - I tried to run each switch in stand-alone mode (without stack cables connected) & monitor the status of the cpu utilization. I found it the same problem exist.

Actions taken:

1)      - Refereeing  to the internet I found a bug ID describing the status of the mentioned symptoms (attached)

2)      -  I made a down grade for the IOS version to be  c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE2.bin

3)      -  The mentioned IOS solved the Hulc LED Process (became 1 : 3 % ) & however cpu utilization became 18% with no links or traffic connected to the switches.

4)     - I guess that 18 % utilization is too much for a free switch (refer to the show run file) as I did not configure any advanced commands.

please advise with a suitable solution for the mentioned case ASAP

the required logs are attached

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

NormMuelleman
Level 1
Level 1

Just my nickel's worth (a penny is worthless anymore)...

I worked at a site where we had Cisco 7206s, 3750's, etc. We used CA's Spectrum to monitor the CPU's.

And at my current site, we are running multiple 3750's in Layer 3 mode...

We don't get notifications unless the CPU goes above 50%, or bandwidth goes above 80%.

I understand that nothing is attached. But you'll have to compare a bare-bones device vs what you're running to see if there's a cause for concern.

I just looked at one of our 3750's. Granted, it's in the middle of the night here, but it's sitting at 13%.

I looked at another one; it's the master of a 5-stacked switch. It's sitting at 16%. It's average runs between 15-40%.

Just trying to give you perspective

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Arun Nair
Level 1
Level 1

Just shut down the non-requried ports(many i believe ). I have faced the same issue.

Cheers

Arun

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thats not too high . People get too hung up on cpu that is above 20% .  The cpu generally has little to do with traffic switching these days which is handled in hardware. A 4500 will run 30-40% with nothing attched , this is normal also.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are CPU bugs that are currently haunting 12.2(58)SE and 15.0(1)SE.  I'm testing 15.0(1)SE2 and it's alot better.  How about trying that?

i already tried this version before without effect.....

NormMuelleman
Level 1
Level 1

Just my nickel's worth (a penny is worthless anymore)...

I worked at a site where we had Cisco 7206s, 3750's, etc. We used CA's Spectrum to monitor the CPU's.

And at my current site, we are running multiple 3750's in Layer 3 mode...

We don't get notifications unless the CPU goes above 50%, or bandwidth goes above 80%.

I understand that nothing is attached. But you'll have to compare a bare-bones device vs what you're running to see if there's a cause for concern.

I just looked at one of our 3750's. Granted, it's in the middle of the night here, but it's sitting at 13%.

I looked at another one; it's the master of a 5-stacked switch. It's sitting at 16%. It's average runs between 15-40%.

Just trying to give you perspective

ashish shirkar
Level 1
Level 1

This might help 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11145246/high-cpu-hulk-led-process

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card