Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C4510R+E Upgrade Redundancy Query - SSO changed to RPR

garybrophy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am in the middle of upgrading a redundant pair of supervisors.

5 8 Sup 8-E 10GE (SFP+), 1000BaseX (SFP) WS-X45-SUP8-E
6 8 Sup 8-E 10GE (SFP+), 1000BaseX (SFP) WS-X45-SUP8-E

I am going from 

cat4500es8-universalk9.SPA.03.07.03.E.152-3.E3.bin,1 --> cat4500es8-universalk9.SPA.03.11.07.E.152-7.E7.bin

Before upgrading the secondary supervisor the operating mode was SSO and it was standby hot

Mod Redundancy role Operating mode Redundancy status
----+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------------------
5 Standby Supervisor SSO Standby hot
6 Active Supervisor SSO Active

After upgrading and rebooting the standby supervisor the operating mode has changed to RPR and standby cold

Mod Redundancy role Operating mode Redundancy status
----+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------------------
5 Standby Supervisor RPR Standby cold
6 Active Supervisor RPR Active

Does anyone know why this happened and is there a way to set it back to SSO and standby hot?

SSO is configured in the main config

redundancy
mode sso
main-cpu
auto-sync startup-config
auto-sync standard

but Show redundancy has it as RPR

Redundant System Information :

------------------------------
Available system uptime = 38 weeks, 3 days, 21 hours, 23 minutes
Switchovers system experienced = 0
Standby failures = 8
Last switchover reason = none

Hardware Mode = Duplex
Configured Redundancy Mode = Stateful Switchover
Operating Redundancy Mode = RPR
Reason: Unknown
Maintenance Mode = Disabled
Communications = Up

I have not upgraded the active supervisor yet as we are concerned with the time for failover to kick in with RPR rather than SSO

"RPR needs two minutes or more to switch over from active to standby, while RPR+ needs 30 seconds or more. On the other hand, SSO needs 0-3 seconds for the switchover on Layer 2. SSO works with Cisco NSF, which helps reduce the switchover downtime on Layer 3."

Any suggestions welcome

thanks

Gary

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thanks BB

i think the jump i am trying to do is too big - i found this compatibility matrix between the IOS's

if I look at the current version 3.07.03 - the biggest jump I seem to be able to make is to 03.09.02

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-knowledge-base/catalyst-4500-4900-series-issu-compatibility-matrix/ta-p/3899728

so it looks like a few jumps up to my desired version is required here. gonna test that out and see how it works to 03.09.02

ill update the post once i get it done to see if thats it

thanks

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure what happend while upgrading the IOS XE- it moved from SSO to RPR - now you have different version of Code - i would not advise to make changes of any config.

If i were you, i will roleback to OLD version make sure all SSO and make sure you write the config and test redudancy and do upgrade again

can you also let us know what proceedure you used to upgrade ? have you collected all the Logs using console ?

also check release noted any gotchas :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/ol-311xe-4500e.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

thanks BB

i think the jump i am trying to do is too big - i found this compatibility matrix between the IOS's

if I look at the current version 3.07.03 - the biggest jump I seem to be able to make is to 03.09.02

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-knowledge-base/catalyst-4500-4900-series-issu-compatibility-matrix/ta-p/3899728

so it looks like a few jumps up to my desired version is required here. gonna test that out and see how it works to 03.09.02

ill update the post once i get it done to see if thats it

thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card