Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-F4531

lm20ele
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody,

I would like to know if there is a procedure on how to installed the Cisco Netflow daugther card. We have a 4507R with two sup-IV engines Active/Standby in a production environment. I had the idea to removed the standby supervisor and install the Netflow card and put it back. Than, failover to the standby supervisor and repeat the same process on the now standby supervisor. I'm not sure if I can do this whithout any disruption.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Check out the following link for  "Installation Note for the Catalyst 4500 Family NetFlow Services Card"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/hardware/configuration/notes/78-15214.html

Hope this helps out for your query !!

Regards

Ganesh.H

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Lamelendrez

"Without any disruption" is tough ! If you have RPR configured, you can forcefully switchover your traffic to secondary SUP with "redundancy force-switchover" command. It will take anywhere between 2 secs - 30 secs (based on your network) to switch traffic to secondary. There can be some traffic disruptions at this point, since some address states can be lost and will be dynamically built once the SUP comes online....

Since 4500 and RPR supports Online Insertion and Removal (OIR), you can switch the traffic to secondary SUP, and remove the primary, insert the netflow card, and put it back.. then do a force switchover to primary (with netflow card), and do the same procedure for the secondary SUP..

In anycase, this being a big change, I would take a downtime of 30 mins-1 hour atleast, when I do this change , just to be SAFE Hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco