cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ws-x4516 and ws-x4516/2 - identical or not?

skapustin
Level 1
Level 1

I'd like to know one thing about 4500 switches. Why are part numbers for main and redundant supervisors different? I mean, why two different PNs exist: ws-x4516 and ws-x4516/2? Is it a means of tracking something or the modules are indeed different?

What if I have a 4507R and two ws-x4516 and no ws-x4516/2? Can I build a redundant system and get RPR to work?

BR,

Serge

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

To add to Reza's comments, the existence of the two Part IDs doesn't extend beyond the ordering tools/price lists.

If you order a WS-X4516/2 and insert it in a chassis, the output of show mod will display as WS-X4516.

IIRC, the difference in the part IDs exists for the purposes of pricing bundles, but serves no purpose in terms of system operation.

HTH,

Bobby

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Serge,

Here  are the descriptions.  You should be able to build a redundant system.  According to the description the second one is your redundant Sup.

So, you should be fine.

WS-X4516Catalyst 4500 Supervisor V (2 GE),Console(RJ-45)

WS-X4516/2

Catalyst 45xxR Redundant Supervisor V (2 GE),Console(RJ-45)

HTH

Reza

To add to Reza's comments, the existence of the two Part IDs doesn't extend beyond the ordering tools/price lists.

If you order a WS-X4516/2 and insert it in a chassis, the output of show mod will display as WS-X4516.

IIRC, the difference in the part IDs exists for the purposes of pricing bundles, but serves no purpose in terms of system operation.

HTH,

Bobby

Thank you very much Bobby. Now I got it.

They are physically identical. And having different PNs may indeed come in handy when assigning prices for fancy bundles. It makes perfect sence now.

BR,

Serge

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card