Views
Helpful
Replies

WS3560CX Mode Switch

esanderjr25928
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a WS3560CX-12pd-s switch. I forgot the username and password and would like to reset the switch to factory defaults. I have read Cisco documentation regarding the 3560 and I have seen the YouTube videos regarding Cisco switches and the mode switch. I have found nothing that refers directly to the ws3560cx mode switch. I understand that if the switch is unplugged from the AC mains, the mode button pressed and held in while plugging the switch back in should reset the switch to factory defaults. I can tell you that when the mode button is pressed with the switch in operation, I see the lights blinking in different patterns. The mode switch itself appears to be working. 

In my case, all I get on my terminal window is Username/Password. My switch is not resetting and giving me the

switch: prompt

I have tried cisco/cisco, Cisco/Cisco and Cisco/cisco password combinations. When I configured the switch originally, I did NOT disable the password recovery tool.

The switch passes POST, boots up normally, and passes traffic through all ports. 

No Cisco support contract

Terraterm is my terminal emulator   I am using a Rollover cable connected through the switch RJ45 connector

Software 15.2 7e2

Sorry to take up your time on the board, this should be easy

Thanks,

Ed

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/cisco-catalyst-3560-cx-factory-reset/td-p/4029289

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you for the quick reply...

My switch does NOT get to the switch: prompt as shown in your example.

Just so I am clear;
1. Unplug switch from AC Mains
2. Press the MODE button
3. Plug switch back into AC Mains while keeping MODE button pressed.
4. On terminal emulator, the switch: prompt should appear.

How long does the MODE button have to be pressed for after the switch is powered up?

Step 1

Connect a terminal or PC with terminal-emulation software to the switch console port.

Step 2

Set the line speed on the emulation software to 9600 baud.

Step 3

Power off the switch.

Step 4

Reconnect the power cord to the switch and, within 15 seconds, press the Mode button while the System LED is still flashing green. Continue pressing the Mode button until the System LED turns briefly amber and then solid green; then release the Mode button.

If that does not work, then by any change password recovery disabled : (Procedure with Password Recovery Disabled)

then follow the below document :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12-2_52_se/configuration/guide/3560scg/swtrbl.html#wp1466701

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks to all that replied but still no luck.....

I have removed all I/O to the switch except for the console terminal rollover cable.

When I power cycle the switch, the SYST light comes on solid blue for approximately 7 seconds. The SYST light then blinks green.

I press the MODE button and hold it in. After about 35 seconds, the SYST, STAT, SPEED and PoE Lights come on solid green. I never see the SYST light turn amber, then solid green.

I am far from a Cisco expert, but it sure appears that the Password Recovery was disabled.

Ed

- Power off the standalone switch or the entire switch stack.
-  Reconnect the power cord to the or the active switch. Within 15 seconds, press the Mode button while the System LED
is still flashing green. Continue pressing the Mode button until all the system LEDs turn on and remain solid; then release
the Mode button.

Switch:

https://justanotherninja.wordpress.com/2015/04/25/how-to-recover-corrupted-cisco-ios-using-rommon/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card