Replies

C40 Firmare upgrade incompatibility

Pedro Serras
Level 1
Level 1

Subject: Cisco C40 Software Upgrade incompatibility
Date: 8/5/2019
Dear Sirs
We have in hands a C40 Codec with the serial number FTT1846015M . The Costumer upgraded the firmware for the version TC7.2.1.cb31c3d.
The is not working correctly ; After a reboot and during next 2 or three minuts you can control the codec via IR control or via RS 232 port. After this time the codec doesnt respond either via serial port or Ir Control.IF you had established a call before loose the control , the cal remains active but when you want to disconnect the call ,the codec doesnt respond and the cal remains active .
This codec is one of the first series so i suspect that this firmware version is not compatible but im not shure; So i need your help to clarify the situations. If we need to do the software downgrade please let me know how to proceed
Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

Andrew Skelly
Level 7
Level 7

I don't see any flavor of 7.2.X for the C40 available for download on the Cisco website.  Looks like 7.3.18 is the latest release but the suggested is 7.3.17.  In digging a bit further I see that 7.2.1 was deferred back in 2016 per this notice - https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/software/tc7/release_notes/cisco-tc720-tc721-tc732-tc733-tc734-tc735-deferral-notice.pdf

I suggest going to the Cisco download page to pull an updated version, such as 7.3.17.

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/283613657/type/280886992/release/TC7.3.17

Please rate helpful posts by clicking the thumbs up!

Thanks a lot for the information

I will upgrade the software and i will let you know

regards

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There isn't any issues running newer software releases on the C40s - as the software will run on all of the hardware versions.

As @Andrew Skelly said - the version you have installed (TC7.2.1) was one of the software releases that was deferred due to some security vulnerabilities, so is not one that would be recommended you run.

If you want to run an old version of software, TC7.1.4 would be the next earliest release prior to TC7.2.1 that is currently available, otherwise, I'd recommend the TC7.3.17 (Cisco suggested version), or TC7.3.18 (latest version).  

PS I've moved your post to the TelePresence section of the Community where these devices are discussed more actively than in the Applications section you posted it in.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Wayne

Thanks a lot for your reply

I have an issue with this codec that is one of the first series and i thought that in the past Cisco noticed that the first C 40 series could not receive TC 7.2.1, only earlier versions.

I will describe the issue and probably you can help me 

The costumer himself upgrades the software for TC 7.2.1 and reports that the codec is not working properly. I did a visit and noticed the following problem:

After a Reboot the codec could receive commands via Serial Port( AMX ) or Via IR Control. After 2 minuts (more or less) the system stops receiving commands; If you try to send a command via serial port or via infrared control the codec doesnt react

If you have a call established the call remains established but you cannot disconnect the call; to disconnect the call you  eed to power off the codec.

Do you have any idea about if this can be an hardware or software problem ?

regards

As I said, TC7.2.1 is a "deferred" version of software, and isn't one that you should be using.  As suggested previously, update the software to one of the newer releases (ie TC7.3.18).  The latest version is likely to fix what is possibly a bug in the older software you may be encountering, as well as including many critical security fixes sich as for CVE-2016-1387, CVE-2008-5161, CVE-2015-0235, and CVE-2014-9298.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.