Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco room kit pro without registration

fvargas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can a Cisco Room kit plus operate without registration on some Call Control? Something like the SX20?
I am triying to establish videoconference directly from the endpoint (room kit) as standalone.

The videconference service that will try to use could be Zoom, Google met or Teams......

5 Replies 5

Hi,

Yes it can act as standalone device. You need to set Provisionig to OFF , set SIP Protocol under Network Services to ON and Conference/Default Call to SIp.

Please let me know if you need further question

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

There is a bit more complexity to that answer. The endpoint may need an external/public IPv4 address in the absence of a call control platform such as CUCM, Expressway, or Cloud Device Reg for to traverse the firewall. Since you mentioned Google & MSFT Teams Meetings, some of those options are only available with Cloud Device Reg. Check the documentation but IIRC Google is an example of that. Zoom is a SIP call but requires either paid CRC or Video Interop enablement on the Zoom host side.

Hi Jonathan,

Not really needed an external ip address since  the endpoint doesn’t need to be called directly.

Than to call out it needs just an internet connection to perform a dns srv query to call the destination sip service such as Zoom Webex and so forth (I have some customers using Room devices as Standalone). For web conferences such as Google Meet, he could use its embedded web client and use web app and/or macros.

That said, the best experience with Cisco Room Endopints you will get only registering them to a Webex tenant.

My two cents.

Cheers

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

The SDP offer/response from the endpoint will be its local IPv4 address. If that is an RFC1918 address you’ll need the firewall to perform SIP & RTP protocol inspection and rewrite it to whatever the NAT/PAT result is. Without that you’ll get one-way media and possibly other issues depending how strict the far end is. That also means the call is limited to TCP/UDP, not TLS, so the endpoint will warn the user that the call is not encrypted.

And the xAPI config guide explicitly states that Google is only supported in cloud-reg or cloud-aware mode: https://roomos.cisco.com/xapi/Configuration.UserInterface.Features.Call.JoinGoogleMeet/?search=Google

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can a Cisco Room kit plus operate without registration on some Call Control? Something like the SX20?

Yes, you can configure it just as you would do with the older Cisco SX20.  It's not an idea way of configuring it, and lacks the finesse of using a proper call control platform.  You would be much better off paying a small monthly fee and registering it to the Webex Cloud.  It's a similar cost to what you'd pay for a Premium Netflix subscription.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.