cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CTS1300 / MX / EX Conferencing with MCU (Multi Conferencing)

born.jason
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have different CTS / MX / EX Telepresence in use. All registered on CUCM 8.6.  have configured a MCU 5310 on  the Call manager as conference bridge and assigned the Media ressource Group to the devices. Phones use the MCU as well but the Telepresence devices not, why?

I have also a VCS in use (not ready configured and not really in use yet) Do i need this VCS and register the MCU on the VCS and configure on the Telepresence devices a Multiway and adress?

Any suggestions?

Regards

Jason

2 Replies 2

Patrick Pettit
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI Jason - Good morning.  If MCU is added as MRG to CUCM, if phone  hits conference, should be able to direct the MX and EX to call the MCU  on CUCM if they are configured to use MRG. 

EX in TE6.0, withe cop.sgn file loaded, will give you the option to use CUCM or endpoint for multipoint mode operations.  So if EX calls two phones, and hits merge on the panel, the call will escalate to the MCU specified in the MRGL. 

MX series will have this capability, from what I hear in TC6.1. 

Right now, if MX and EX are registered to CUCM, they will bridge the call internally to the unit. 

Now, you can run Multiway from VCS and integrate this to CUCM as well.  However, I don't believe we support MX or EX registered to CUCM as the initiator of the Multiway Meeting. 

But initiator of Multiway meeting on VCS can REFER systems and phones on CUCM if they wish and join the MCU that is registered on the VCS. 

Hope this helps.

VR

Patrick

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

UCM provide three conference methods

• Ad hoc conference (conference escalation managed by UCM)
  • Rendezvous conference
  • MeetMe conference

Ad hoc conference (which I believe what you have configured 5310 based on your description) require conference escalation operation from IP Phone (or VC system) that support “Join” (or similar) soft key operation.

As Patrick mention already, TelePresence EX series Endpoint and MX series Endpoint yet support this conference escalation operation (till next software release).

Therefore EX/MX series Endpoint can’t be conference escalation operator, but if other IP Phone or VC that support “Join” conference escalation operation, EX/MX series Endpoint can join Ad hoc conference as both Endpoint does support call transfer by using SIP refer message.

Same for MeetMe conference which require “MeetMe” feature on device.

EX/MX series Endpoint can join MeetMe conference managed by UCM as long as there are active MeetMe conference already created by other IP Phone, but EX/MX series Endpoint currently can’t create (activate) new MeetMe conference on UCM.

If you add 5310 MCU as SIP Trunk and create Route Pattern, then may use Rendezvous Conference.

This conference method does not require any conference activation or escalation operation from IP phone.

All Endpoint able to dial-in conference bridge.

> Do i need this VCS and register the MCU on the VCS and configure on the Telepresence devices

> a Multiway and adress?

This is very depend on what you want to priorities and how to managing the VC solution.

If you have already configure Ad hoc conference management on UCM with 5310 MCU and have large number of IP Phone, probably best to keep Ad hoc conference only.

Multiway is similar feature of Ad hoc conference on UCM, but few difference between it.

Main different point that once conference escalated to MCU by using Multiway, conference bridge resource will hold till conference call disconnected (hence UCM Ad hoc conference will de-escalate when conference become 2 parties call. UCM manage and de-escalate conference call back to point-to-point call and free up MCU bridge resource).