Views
Helpful
Replies

EX90 and TC 4.2 Upgrade Issue

Mark H
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

We seem to be experiencing an issue trying to upgrade an EX90 unit to TC 4.2 (From 4.1.2) using a method that has been successful on other EX90 units. Has anyone seen this before or got some ideas to help troubleshoot it?

Via the administrative web page, we simply select upgrade software and use the 4.2 package. It goes through uploading the package, the web page says it's installing and then says it's rebooting. The web page eventually says 'initializing page' but then when we log in to the page it's still running 4.1.2.

Any ideas? I couldn't spot anything in the log files, but I'm unsure what to be looking for.

Cheers,

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Teck Chye Tang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Just for you info.

Cisco have identified a batch of EX90 systems coming from manufacturing that have a defect that might make it impossible to upgrade the software on the unit. If they try to upgrade a affected system to TC4.2.0 the upgrade process will proceed as normal but when the system reboots it will still run the old software. However the system will work as normal, but you will be unable to upgrade to TC4.2.

Solution: RMA the EX90 and make sure the RMA is a "Hardware New" replacement.

So do raise a RMA SR for your case.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Teck Chye Tang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Just for you info.

Cisco have identified a batch of EX90 systems coming from manufacturing that have a defect that might make it impossible to upgrade the software on the unit. If they try to upgrade a affected system to TC4.2.0 the upgrade process will proceed as normal but when the system reboots it will still run the old software. However the system will work as normal, but you will be unable to upgrade to TC4.2.

Solution: RMA the EX90 and make sure the RMA is a "Hardware New" replacement.

So do raise a RMA SR for your case.

Thank you Teck.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for this information!

We are facing the similar situation but not for upgrade but downgrade the software version.

We have a client running CUCM 8.0.3 and they want us to integrate EX90 & EX60,the running software version in EX90 & EX60 is TC 4.1.0.

We tried to register the EX90 & EX60 as SIP (Third Party ) Advanced , but in CUCM it is still showing the status as 'UNREGISTERED" and so we are unable to make and receive calls from/to EX60/EX90.

When we escalated this issue to Cisco TelePresence/Tandberg Team , they suggested to downgrade the EX version to 3.1.4 and then it should work.

But when we dowgraded, EX rebooted successfully, but it is still showing the running old version "TC 4.1.0"

Please advice the workaround!

regards,

Manish Gupta

Teck Chye Tang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Manish,

Try Ssh to your EX90, check if there are 2 software images. Currently, There is no known issue for ex90 downgrading from Tc4.x to Tc3.x.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Teck

What you can say about serial connection for EX90?

What port of ex90 has serial link?

I want try serial connection for use  selectsw command...

Br. Oleksandr

Serial connection for Ex90 is located at the bottom of the unit (near the power switch).  Lift up the unit, and you can see a RJ45 type connector.

However, you need a "special cable", a d-sub 9 pin to a RJ45 connector (in between there is a RS232-TTL converter) for that.

You can use SSH and login as root also to access the selectsw command.

Teck, can you please supply the SKU ordering part number for this "special cable"?  I have looked all over the place and cannot find this information.  I have used this cable before to recover an EX90 unit stuck in a reboot loop, but I had to return the cable.  I would like to purchase one for myself.  Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Cisco do not sell this cable unfortunately.  Maybe you can contact your local cisco support engineer to see if they have any spare.

SupportAC
Level 1
Level 1

I have same situation, I have a question, if cisco recognize the hardware problem, how I can open a RMA without to be affected in Cisco Metrics?

SupportAC
Level 1
Level 1

Exist any field note where Cisco Recognize the problem?

Can You provide me the link where is?