cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Forcemore than two endpoints to use Codian MCU

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

I have a lot of C90s, E20s, 150 endpoints. I would like conferences of two or more to always use the Codian MCU.

Can I do this with conference templates.participant template, or somewhere else?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Anthony Thomson
Level 3
Level 3

It depends on the specifics.

If you are booking these conferences using TMS, then you need to configure your Advanced Conference Options.  "External MCU Usage in Routing" should be set to "Always, except point to point", and "Preferred MCU Type in Routing" should be set to "TANDBERG Codian MCU".

If these are Ad-hoc conferences, then what you want is Multiway (i.e. Conference Factory).  This requires a VCS however.  Refer to the Multiway Deployment Guide for specifics.

http://www.tandberg.com/support/dl.php?id=1119&dir=Deployment_Guides&fn=Cisco_VCS_Multiway_Deployment_Guide_X5.pdf

L-series (T150) endpoints cannot initiate a Multiway call according to the docs, but that may have changed since the doc is a little out of date now.  They can be joined to a Multiway call though (L6.0 or higher).  MXPs require F8.0 or higher.

If neither of those works for you, then your only option is to setup the Codian to create a new ad-hoc conference on incoming calls to unknown conferences, and then give your MCU an H323 Service Prefix so that all calls with that prefix will route to the MCU and start a conference using that ID.  Make sure that your parent Template has numeric ID registration for both H323 and SIP enabled.

The Codian by itself is not capable of forcing anyone to use it for Multisite; this seems to be what you might be thinking from the template questions.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Anthony Thomson
Level 3
Level 3

It depends on the specifics.

If you are booking these conferences using TMS, then you need to configure your Advanced Conference Options.  "External MCU Usage in Routing" should be set to "Always, except point to point", and "Preferred MCU Type in Routing" should be set to "TANDBERG Codian MCU".

If these are Ad-hoc conferences, then what you want is Multiway (i.e. Conference Factory).  This requires a VCS however.  Refer to the Multiway Deployment Guide for specifics.

http://www.tandberg.com/support/dl.php?id=1119&dir=Deployment_Guides&fn=Cisco_VCS_Multiway_Deployment_Guide_X5.pdf

L-series (T150) endpoints cannot initiate a Multiway call according to the docs, but that may have changed since the doc is a little out of date now.  They can be joined to a Multiway call though (L6.0 or higher).  MXPs require F8.0 or higher.

If neither of those works for you, then your only option is to setup the Codian to create a new ad-hoc conference on incoming calls to unknown conferences, and then give your MCU an H323 Service Prefix so that all calls with that prefix will route to the MCU and start a conference using that ID.  Make sure that your parent Template has numeric ID registration for both H323 and SIP enabled.

The Codian by itself is not capable of forcing anyone to use it for Multisite; this seems to be what you might be thinking from the template questions.

I inherited this, we have about 30 sites, how is TMS choosing the appropiate MCU ?

TMS chooses an MCU based on the availability of resources on the MCU, and it's location (i.e. which IP Zone it is located in relative to the participants).

If you are booking a conference through TMS, you can always deliberately add an MCU to the call, and TMS should preferentially choose the MCU over any built-in MCU I believe.  Note that the Tandberg Scheduler interface will not show you infrastructure products like an MCU, AFAICT.

Hi,

As Anthony already mentioned probably the best way here is to use Multiway feature.

A complete overview of the Multiway deployment can be found at :

http://www.tandberg.com/collateral/documentation/Deployment_Guides/Cisco_VCS_Multiway_Deployment_Guide_X5.pdf

Please do not hesitate to contact me in case you need further more information about multiway deployments.

Kind regards

Cristian

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

The Advanced Conference Options was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks -jason