Views
Helpful
Replies

Limit CMS RTP Port range

Mortaza Rohani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Cisco CMS use a wide port range for web app clients (1024-65535).
Due to the concerns of the security team, I was looking for a way to limit this range (as it was possible in CUCM), but I didn't find anything.

Can anyone guide?

5 Replies 5

DaveLawang
Level 1
Level 1

We've successfully played around with Windows Group Policies to restrict WebRTC port range on client side.

Restrict the range of local UDP ports used by WebRTC (admx.help)

WebRTC in no longer supported starting CMS v.3
which version are you using? 

What you mean that WebRTC is no longer supported? Which technology should be used instead?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/conferencing/meeting-server/datasheet-c78-742168.html

bwinter_0-1691583486214.png

Only the old Meeting Apps for WebRTC were removed IMO:

bwinter_1-1691583561318.png

And even so, the "solution" from @DaveLawang only impacts the ports used by the client and not by the server.

@Mortaza Rohani wrote:

WebRTC in no longer supported starting CMS v.3
which version are you using? 

Unfortunately in the context of CMS "WebRTC" could refer to mutliple things. I was talking about the technology WebRTC which CMS and many other products use. 

"Cisco Meeting App for WebRTC" (Product name) is removed in Cisco Meeting Server version 3.0 and later. You need to use Cisco Meeting Server web app instead of Cisco Meeting App for WebRTC. For more information, refer to Release Notes for Cisco Meeting Server.

Note:
Cisco Meeting App for desktop
Cisco Meeting App for iOS
Cisco Meeting App for WebRTC
are no longer supported in Cisco Meeting Server since version 3.0.

Source: Cisco Meeting Server web app Version 3.7

Those are product names. The product Cisco Meeting App for WebRTC is no longer supported in CMS >3.0. 

The technology WebRTC is very much alive and kicking in CMS (supported).  You can easily check it by opening a tab and enter chrome://webrtc-internals or edge://webrtc-internals during an ongoing meeting. It will display all sorts of WebRTC stats.

I'm not aware of any way to modify the server side UDP port range either.

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Personally, I never have recognized any settings when installing CMS.
And when I have a quick look in the API reference and CLI guides, I couldn't find any command.
So, I guess, there is no way to restrict the ports used by CMS.