Views
Helpful
Replies

MCU 4505 issue

Ali Bahnam
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

Can anyone explain me that the MCU4505 need a VCS to work, or it can work alone with no need to VCS??

I have bought a MCU 4505 with 38 EX60 and 4 PC20, so does I need a VCS till my Video conference work, the total I need is maximum 10 sessions do a conference at the same time.

Please help me to solve the issue.

Regards,                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Russell Haney
Level 1
Level 1

short answer is no you do not need a VCS to make conferences with the MCU. They can either direct call into the MCU and setup a new conference or enter a pre-existing one.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The MCU could be dialed up by the endpoints without a vcs via h323-ip-dialing.

I do not know your deployment or call flows, but with this amount of endpoints you most likely

want to have a proper call control.

* Are all your endpoints in a controlled internal network (then CUCM or/and VCS-C it is)

* and kind of firewalls present or busines to business communication planned (then you should have a VCS-E in addition)

* You also want to look into TMS (Management software, centralized phonebooks, booking of conferences, ...)

You should talk to a cisco parter who can explain to you more in detail how your deployment will benefit!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Thank you Martin,

I'm new on VC field,

but I have a Cisco CME and MCU 4505 so do you think this will help??

Russell Haney
Level 1
Level 1

short answer is no you do not need a VCS to make conferences with the MCU. They can either direct call into the MCU and setup a new conference or enter a pre-existing one.

Thank you for your reply,

As I understood from you that the MCU can handle all the VC and no need for any additional device.??

rasimyigit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
You can also register the end points on the local gatekeeper on the Mcu . I'm not sure but I think round about 25 devices

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

twenty five depends on what ??

Please can you clarify me??

Appreciate your reply,

Yes the MCU is a stand alone device. It does have a small Gatekeeper function in it that can register up to 25 endpoints. This is a useful feature for E.164 alias and other functions.

Please can you advice for my issue I have 38 endpoints but there are 12 sessions communicate at the same time.

so there are no method to register the 38 endpoints.

Regards,

Ali trying to configure and operate a VTC network is not something that should be done by blogging or forum posts. I see from your previous posts that you are not familiar with the technology and it would have been better from the start to get professional advice from either a legitimate VTC designer/integrator or Cisco sales rep.

If you have already purchased these items then you are stuck with maximum 12 endpoints using the MCU at one time. You can still have a mix of multiple conference rooms but still only 12 endpoints. The built in Gatekeeper function is limited to 25 registered endpoints. But the Gatekeeper is not your primary limitation here. It is the fact that you have 38 endpoints and a 12 endpoint MCU. You should have bought a 4520 model or a larger MSE unit along with a VCS Contol unit. If there is no need for the 38 endpoints to all actively participate in a conference then you may want to just stream the conference to those people that are only listeners. Another option is to have the people beyond the 12 endpoint limit to call into the conference by phone while using streaming.

You also could still upgrade your 4505 to a 4520 by buying an upgrade license. Plus you can buy a VCS Control unit for the 38 registrations or not. There is no need to have them registered to be in a conference call. They can still dial in using the IP address of the MCU.