Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MCU VS Telepresence Server

Hi,

I´m preparing to my CIPTV1 and I have some doubts about these equipements,

I´ve read that Meet and Ad-hoc as well as rendezvous conferences are supported by TPS as long as you use a Conductor, according to the official guide TPS cannot be directly integrated with cucm and need to be managed by a conductor.

On the other hand MCU can be directly integrated with CUCM to support Meet me and Ad-hoc conferences and MCU will be used as a conference bridge in CUCM, whereas Rendezvous calls are only supported in remotely managed mode as long as you use a Conductor, Ad-hoc and Meet me are supported as well.

So what would be the most important difference between these equipments.

So my question is, what do you mean that TPS is in local managed mode and what is the diference when is in remotely managed mode?

What kind of conferences are supported when you are in local managed mode?

What do you mean that TPS server is directly integrated with CUCM, if it´s supposed that TPS cannot be directly integrated with CUCM?

I´d appreciate your answers.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correct, conference bridges register to CUCM via SIP trunk.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Both the MCU and the TPS are now end of sale products and have been replaced by the Cisco Meeting Server.  So, in a real-world situation, you wouldn't use either of the older ones in any new deployment.

Some of the differences between the TPS and MCU are noted in another discussion: What is the difference between MCU & Cisco TelePresence Server?

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Wayne, question is in regards to an exam topic for CIPTV1.

CUCM supports both MCU and TelePresence Server, either directly registered or behind Conductor.  TelePresence Server can be run in either locally or remotely managed mode when used with Conductor,  with remotely managed mode giving improved functionality, a good explanation of remotely managed mode can be found in the TelePresence Server 3.0(2.24) Release Notes.

CUCM supports the following with each conference bridge type:

• MCU supports both ad hoc and rendezvous conferences.
  • TelePresence Server supports rendezvous conferences.
  • Conductor supports both ad hoc and rendezvous conferences.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply, I have solved some of my doubts, but only have another one, What do you mean your TPS server is in locally managed mode?

I undesrstand when you are in locally managed mode means that you register the TPS directly in CUCM as a device in order to support Rendezvous conferences, without a Conductor.

And when you are in remotely managed mode you need to register a conductor as a conference bridge and then integrate TPS in order to support Ad hoc, Meet me and in some cases Rendezvous as well.

Is it correct this?

Regards.

Sorry I wanted to say when you are in locally managed mode you use a SIP trunk and when you call from any device un CUCM, it sends the call via SIP Trunk to the TPS.

Correct, conference bridges register to CUCM via SIP trunk.

When TelePresence Server is running in locally managed mode, it can be registered directly to CUCM, however it must be behind Conductor when in remotely managed mode. TelePresence Server in locally managed mode will manage all conferences, but when in remotely managed mode, all conference create and participant management are managed by Conductor.

One more thing - not sure if this is in your test question pool, but just in case - only the 8710 blade and 7010 appliance support locally managed mode (they both predate the existence of Conductor). The MM310/320 appliances, MM820 blade, and virtual TPS all support remotely managed mode only (needs Conductor). Hope this helps. 

Only the 7010, 8510, and 8710 only support locally managed mode, all other TelePresence Server platforms only support remotely manage mode which requires Conductor.

The MSE 8510 runs MCU software, but the 8510 and 8710 are the same exact hardware, so Cisco eventually allowed TelePresence Server software to be installed on it as a way to migrate users from MCU to TPS.